Best treatment for fin rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Maxy24, Dec 16, 2012.

1. M

Maxy24 Valued Member Member

We have a case of fin rot in our 55 gallon tank. I have tried treating it with Melafix in the past but it did not work. What would be the best treatment for it? Pretty much all of the fish in the tank have it (though we are very understocked because we can't seem to keep fish healthy so we are not getting new ones) and we have been loosing fish.

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

The best treatment is generally nice, clean water. Frequent changes will help. What are your parameters right now?
    Vita Chem and Kordon Fish Protector (or Seachem Stress Guard, my personal choice, and possibly best if you use the Prime water conditioner) are also helpful for helping fins regrow. If that's not working, you can give it a kick in the pants with Maracyn 1 and 2 used in conjunction.

3. h

hobo Valued Member Member

yup I agree with Eienna more water changes good clean water

4. OP
    OP
    M

Alright, we'll starts with better water. while I'm at college my dad seriously slacks and also over feeds. Right now ammonia is either 0 or .25 (I have trouble telling), nitrites are 0 and nitrates are a bit over 80. How long should it be before I see results from clean water (so when should I give up and use meds if the clean water doesn't do the trick?).

5. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I also have trouble judging the ammonia. I ended up testing distilled water to judge what a 0 reading should be.

Your nitrates are pretty high, should try to keep them below 20, 10 is even better. A couple of good size 30-50% water changes over a couple of days should bring that down slowly enough not to stress them too much. I would keep up with daily water changes until the fin rot clears up.

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That explains what's causing it. Once you step up the water changes for good hygiene it should start to heal. Doing a few good gravel vacs help too. Unless its a planted tank, then no vac. Can take a week or two.

Good luck. :)

7. Eienna

Yup, definitely too much nitrate (and other stuff that builds up over time.)

8. OP
    OP
    M

Okay, thank you all for the help, I'll get the water conditions back into good shape and see if that clears it up. Then I'll figure out how to get my dad to do weekly water changes so it doesn't all fall apart when I go back to school.

9. OP
    OP
    M

Just wanted to update and say many of the fish are showing noticeable healing, especially the cherry barbs. One of the harlequin rasboras that i thought was going to die (stopped eating for several days, did not leave the corner of the tank) is perfectly normal. One angel fish is still pretty torn up and i can't tell with the bleeding hearts, but they are acting much more lively and have much more vibrant colors. I wanted to know when you thought it would be safe to add new fish?

10. Eienna

As long as you can keep up with the water changes, I would consider completing your schools of cherry barbs and bleeding hearts. However, you are pretty darn close to fully stocked.

11. OP
    OP
    M

14 fish in a 55 gallon is full? I understand the angels take up a lot of space but the tank looks bare right now. But yes for right now we'll just be completing the schools. We are also thinking of moving the tank into our living room (its in my brothers room right now because my mom didnt want it in her living room) and i think that will definitely help get my dad to do water changes, no longer out of site out of mind.

12. Eienna

It is when you've got fairly large fish. The angels can hit (they don't all...) 6 inches long, and the bleeding hearts are larger tetras. Believe me, they'll grow into the tank just fine. If you want some more "filler" you could put in plants or wood. :)

On further thought, you may fit some more harlequins, since they're small.

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Once the schools are filled out, it will look much fuller, but even then I don't think you have to be concerned about being overstocked.

Though, if you are having trouble maintaining water quality with a lightly stocked tank, it's not going to be any easier with more fish.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice