Best Times To Watch Your Aquarium

Kohlt22

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed how much more lively and vibrant the aquarium seems late at night up until earlier in the morning compared to throughout the day/evening? At least that's how my community tank is. My danios are packed tight circling the surface, my mollies/platy's are just doing molly/platy things, the ghost shrimp are hanging off of deco's, my pleco is sifting through the sand, and last but not least my baby eclipse is out and about. (Only growing in there until he reaches 4 inches and will be moved). I have two children and two dogs with lots of neighbors in an apartment building, so generally speaking it is pretty noisy through the day and not all of my fish are tolerant to light or noises. I try to keep my light on for 5 hours a day, with 3 hours of natural room light before dark. This is my favorite time just to sit back and watch my fish before bed time. (3rd shifter).

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I always look at my tetras at night and go, "Wow, they look so good!" Whereas in the middle of the day it looks like they've just woken up!

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My goldfish seems active all the time whenever I'm near by swimming up and down the glass closest to me. When I'm not in sight, they go back to digging around the gravel or chewing on the plants mostly. They get most excited when my hand is over the tank (as in feeding); sometimes causing a real frenzy at the top of the water.

My guppies don't show anywhere near as much excitement. They'd come up to the surface when I open their tank lid (for feeding), that's about it. Most of the time, they'd just swim up/down the glass by themselves.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
jack22 said:
My goldfish seems active all the time whenever I'm near by swimming up and down the glass closest to me. When I'm not in sight, they go back to digging around the gravel or chewing on the plants mostly. They get most excited when my hand is over the tank (as in feeding); sometimes causing a real frenzy at the top of the water.

My guppies don't show anywhere near as much excitement. They'd come up to the surface when I open their tank lid (for feeding), that's about it. Most of the time, they'd just swim up/down the glass by themselves.
My danios and mollies circle the surface every time I raise the lid, kinda like tiny sharks lol. But something funny is, at night or when my lights are off my danios are packed super tight like a school but when they either hear or realize that my kids are in the room they all break apart & hide like its every man for themselves.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
emmysjj said:
My snails seem to 'come alive' at night. Love to watch them.
I have had my mystery snail for about 3 months and every time I see him he is someplace different. Last week was the very first time I seen him actually moving.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom