Best Time To Buy Fish To Limit Stress?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Dori.anne, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Dori.anne

Dori.anneValued MemberMember

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether it is best to purchase fish from LFS soon after the fish have arrived at LFS or to wait a while? I'm thinking in terms of minimizing stress to the fish.
    The fish I want (celestial pearl danios) arrived at LFS yesterday. I don't know if it would be better to go get them now, before they have had a chance to settle in at LFS, or to give them a chance to settle in first and then get them. If you think it's better to wait, how long would you wait?

I did get 3 CPDs from this store Saturday. They had been there a little while. I got the last three they had. Those three are doing well. I would like to get more though as soon as possible as I know they prefer to be in a larger group.

Just wondering what people think.
    Thanks!

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

When fish JUST arrive in the store they are stressed. Buying them right then is not such a good idea.. You'd stress them even more and risk to loose a few

3. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Thanks, that makes sense and was my gut feeling. How long would you wait?

4. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Considering you need to quarantine and observe for illness before you introduce this batch to your display tank, purchasing now would be fine.

5. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I would wait a couple of days.. So they arent as stressed.

6. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Well at the moment the 3 CPDs I just added are the only fish (there are 2 snails and some RCS). So, my "display tank" is acting as the quarantine at the moment. I was going to put the additional CPDs in there with them, as if I had gotten them all at the same time (which I would have done if they had enough Saturday).

In a month or so when I want to add more fish, those will be quarantined separately, probably at my house. This tank is at the library where I work, and we are very space challenged. I can't really have a QT there.

7. Discusluv

Oh, totally fine, that is your decision, obviously... . I just assumed you had a quarantine tank that is why I stated that it was not crucial to wait- as you would be observing them in quarantine anyways. You do what you have to do. ***I would, however, disagree that this is not important. Anytime you introduce fish separately they have the potential to introduce parasites and pathogens the other group not acclimated to. A quick view at the multitude of posts in beginners section is a testament to the lack of quarantine between additions to tank- doesn't matter if it is 24 hours, 1 week, or 2years between adding fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Oh I get it. I really do. I know QT is important. I just don't have the ability for an additional QT at the moment unless I used an uncycled tank, which I don't want to do. I used all the cycled media I had to spare in the current tank. I had been hoping to get at least 6 together but they didn't have them. Perhaps I should have waited until they had more to get any, but then I figure IF I had waited, these three that I have now would now be exposed to the new ones anyway at the LFS. I don't know if my reasoning is making sense.
    Anyway, I'm just weighing the risk of not QTing the additional fish that are coming from the same LFS in the same tank and from the same supplier with wanting the three I have now to have a larger group to feel more secure.
    Thanks for your input! It's good to think this all through. Not sure what I'm really going to do yet.

9. Discusluv

I would, if it were me, purchase a product like Seachem's Paraguard to ensure that no problems with introducing the two batches together. It is commonly used ( and relatively mild) as a preventative against such issues. I use it in my quarantine with my discus as I always assume gill flukes are present with this species.... Paraguard will also not effect the beneficial bacteria.

10. Discusluv

11. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Thanks for the suggestion! I will see if I can get it.