Best Thing To Tie Plant To?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jenmur, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I am redoing my 10 gallon betta tank with a few live plants. He started out with an Anubias nana that sits on a bridge, which he loves. I just got Anacharis which is currently floating in the middle of the tank and he seems curious about that. I still have a silk plant and a barrel decoration.

I plan on getting Java fern as well, hopefully before May -crosses fingers- I need to get something to tie it to. I don't wanna use his barrels cuz then I dunno if he would be safe swimming through or resting in them. Should I get another decoration or a piece of rock to tie it to? It's go on the bare side of his tank of course.

[​IMG]

2. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

You could put it over in the left corner, just make sure the rhyzome stays exposed.

3. OP
    OP
    jenmur

I'm nervous about burying the roots cuz I'm concerned about dislodging the plant when I do water changes cuz I vacuum the gravel. My Anubias roots stretch out along the top of some gravel but at least I have so far managed not to murder that plant.

4. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

If you don't want to buy another decor, you can use a plant anchor to help the Java fern sink. Just make a loop around the rhizome.

Another option is tie it around a small lava rock.

5. max h

The good thing with Java Fern is they are very hardy and hard to kill. I have a couple of them that have pretty much sat on top of the sand for several months.

6. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@AmazonPassion. I'm willing to buy another decoration as long as it's safe for Frazier. Lava rock is ok and won't hurt his fins? It would match the gravel. Plant anchor?

@max h. That's why I got an Anubias! Easy and hard to kill! That's why I wanna try Java fern too! Hehe. If they just sit on top they won't move around too much?

7. max h

@jenmur most of the Java Ferns that are just sitting on the bottom these days originally came out of my 55 gallon tank that has pea gravel substrate. A few pieces of the pea gravel intertwined in the roots so they really don't move around. A couple of other all I did was put some substrate on top of the roots.

8. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Oh ok. And you can stick the gravel vac down in there and it doesn't disturb them too much?

9. max h

I have sand these days in the main tank which is 110 gallons and I just vac around the plants.

10. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Hmm. Gravel gets pretty ugly between water changes. I'll probably get a piece of decor or rock to tie it to. I so hope sand isn't as bad as gravel!

11. max h

Not really the stuff sits on top of sand, so all you have to do is hover the vac near the sand to pick up debris.

12. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Oh thank goodness!!

Now to try to find lava rock somewhere or go to Petsmart to get decor piece. They have a better selection than Petco

13. AmazonPassion

Lava rock won't hurt his fin and they come in different colors (Black, Red, and I think Brownish).

14. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Ohh I didn't know they came in different colors! I've only seen the black pieces. I would just tie a piece of thread around the roots and the rock correct?

15. AmazonPassion

Yeah. You can also use crazy glue to attach the Java fern

16. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Crazy glue? I haven't heard of using that before. Huh, learn something new everyday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice