Best temperature and ph levels for my guppy

trem1
can anyone tell me what is the best temperature and ph levels for my guppy's are please at the moment my ph is 7.6 and temp is 25 deg C

look forward to lots of replies

purple_phoenix
They do best between about 75 and 82 degrees, but mine live in slightly colder water (70-74) and do just fine. (25deg C is around 77, so that's okay)

pH is a little high... it should really be between around 6.8-7.2.

Just out of interest, how many do you have, and what size tank? Hope you have fun on Fishlore and find us helpful!

trem1
Just out of interest, how many do you have, and what size tank? Hope you have fun on Fishlore and find us helpful!
thanks for the welcome and the advice

at present we have a 60 litre tank with 5 platy's 1 angel' & 4 guppy's did have more guppy's but they don't seem to live long. I think its my supplier so gonna try somewhere different

purple_phoenix
That's cool.
Tell you the truth, I've kind of given up on pet shops selling you fish that survive. I've found a couple of local people who have sold me fish that they've bred, and I've had absolutely no problems. If it takes you down that road, you'll find it's also a fair bit cheaper.

COBettaCouple
did you check the guppy profile? https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Guppy.htm

we keep our guppies at 78F (25-26C) with a pH of about 7.4 (local pH). It's within their ability to adapt to and they were bred locally. Most fish get used to the local pH and just need it to be kept steady. I'd say your gups are in favourable conditions but you may be dealing with stock that has inbreeding or other poor breeding methods behind it. Trying a new supplier or local breeder is a good idea.

what are the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels on your tank? do you have a liquid water testing kit?

trem1
did you check the guppy profile? https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Guppy.htm

we keep our guppies at 78F (25-26C) with a pH of about 7.4 (local pH). It's within their ability to adapt to and they were bred locally. Most fish get used to the local pH and just need it to be kept steady. I'd say your gups are in favourable conditions but you may be dealing with stock that has inbreeding or other poor breeding methods behind it. Trying a new supplier or local breeder is a good idea.

what are the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels on your tank? do you have a liquid water testing kit?

thanks for that advice and yes I do have a water test kit I have API freshwater master test kit and my levels are

ph 7.6
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 10ppm

think they are fine but what do you guys think??

COBettaCouple
that's a very good result. our tanks are usually 0,0,5 or 0,0,10 with just a slightly lower pH. almost the same temperature as ours too and the guppies we have are quite happy little ones. ;D

thanks for that advice and yes I do have a water test kit I have API freshwater master test kit and my levels are

ph 7.6
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 10ppm

think they are fine but what do you guys think??

trem1
I havn't got an airpump is it a good idea to have on or does it not really matter??
also if I should have one what's a good setup in respect of airstone,air curtain that type of thing

COBettaCouple
yea, an air pump is something we have for every tank, even the betta tanks. It's really personal preference what kind of airstone, curtain, etc that you get, but we really like the flexible bubble wands.

I havn't got an airpump is it a good idea to have on or does it not really matter??
also if I should have one what's a good setup in respect of airstone,air curtain that type of thing

trem1
well I been out and got an airpump with a diffuser pipe which gives a curtain of air but its very noisy its not the pump cos that quiet but when I connect the air line its resonating badly, why???

also what's the best/safest way to clean the tank ornaments??

jsalemi
There are plastic plant cleaners available that can be used on ornaments, too, but probably the easiest way is in warm water with a scrub brush you use only to clean the ornaments and plants (that way, there's no chance of soap residue). If you just do it in tap water, let them dry thoroughly, or add a bit of your dechlorinator when you put them back into the tank.

COBettaCouple
that's a hard one to diagnose without examining it. what air pump and diffuser pipe did you get (brand name and/or model #)? maybe a pic? the air line is firmly connected on each end? do you have a check valve? where exactly does the noise come from and is it a rattling type noise?

well I been out and got an airpump with a diffuser pipe which gives a curtain of air but its very noisy its not the pump cos that quiet but when I connect the air line its resonating badly, why???

trem1
first my tank with fish hiding (think I got shy fish)

195.jpg

the diffuser tube

196.jpg

and finally the air pump

197.jpg

the noise seems to come from the tank if I leave the pump running and disconnect the tube its silent but as soon as I reconnect its really noisy

COBettaCouple
do you mean if you disconnect the tube in the tank? if you have the hose hooked to the pump and going into the water, but not hooked to the stone is it still noisy? do you have another airstone to try if it's the airstone that's noisy? does the airstone vibrate any?

trem1
do you mean if you disconnect the tube in the tank? if you have the hose hooked to the pump and going into the water, but not hooked to the stone is it still noisy? do you have another airstone to try if it's the airstone that's noisy? does the airstone vibrate any?

i'll try and explain better all this done with pump plugged in and running

1: unplug airline from pump at pump, pump runs silently
2: unplug airline from diffuser pipe quite noisy but not too bad, in the water
2: plug diffuser into airline and it is incredibly noisy in the water

its like a vibration type noise I have now bought an airstone and that is still noisy but no where near as bad as the pipe,at least I can leave this running and still hear tv.

how long should I have pump running for????

or is it like the filter and constant???

COBettaCouple
very unusual.

it's best to run the air pump continuously.. what capacity is that air pump for? It should say on the box the gallons range that it is intended for? I wonder if it's sending enough force to cause noise.. you could try a check valve in the line if that is the case.

trem1
if by check valve you mean a non-return valve to stop water syphoning back to the pump ive just removed it(oops forgot to mention I had one) and it appears that was the cause many many thanks for your help COBettaCouple it is very much appreciated

COBettaCouple
;D i'm glad you found the problem - do you have a replacement for it?

trem1
no not yet but will the replacement cause the same problem

timg
non-return valves are a real pain at times. Some work well, orthers are hopeless. The best way around the problem is to put he pump higher than the water, so that it cannot become a siphon if the pump is switched off. You won't need a NR valve at all then.

Once it's running right, it's best to leave it running 24/7. Guppies in poarticular love to play in the air stream, and it's good for them, because they like strong currents.

COBettaCouple
good call Tim!
non-return valves are a real pain at times. Some work well, orthers are hopeless. The best way around the problem is to put he pump higher than the water, so that it cannot become a siphon if the pump is switched off. You won't need a NR valve at all then.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jaws original
Replies
Views
RoseyFlower10
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank PH Went Up