Best Temp For Goldies

1. OmarAsim4 Initiate Member

1. Best temp for goldfishes for the growth ? Should temp be changed in every season ? Secondly what will be the best temp in breepding season ? My heater's minimum range is 20c

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They realy benefit from seasonal fluctuations (one of the reasons ponds are best for them). They do best with a hibernation period in winter where the water is below 10c. When breeding the temperature should be around 18-20c and fry should be kept around 20c. For most of the year 14-18c is good, a slight dip in temperature at night isn't bad.

3. OmarAsim4 Initiate Member

Right now @BottomDweller my temp is 24 should i decrease it then ? It stays same at night also .

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, that's a little warm

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

if you don't want to do the whole seasonal stuff and try to help them breed ect.. just keep the water temp at 20c all year long.

EDIT : just noticed you want to breed so ya like bottondweller suggested.

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think 20c is a bit warm all year round. 20c is the maximum I would keep them at any time of year.

7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

really 68f ? is to warm?

is their a deference between regular goldfish and fancy goldfish?

I have a pond outdoors 1700 gallon with comet/common goldfish so the temp fluctuates on its own but I have 5 fancy goldfish in an aquarium that I keep at 68f all year long.

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Fancies have become more delicate through inbreeding so are not as cold tolerant however their upper limit is the same. These are cold water fish rather than temperate.
    Personally I wouldn't keep them at 20c all year.

9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

oh okay thanks for the info , it's honestly the first time I've heard of this with lots of researched I've read and heard that fancies do best at 68f. I can't speak for goldfish as I said their in a outdoors pond which fluctuates.

but none the less I don't want to steal the OP thread but what would you have your fancy goldfish tank temp at all year long ? I rather go with experience rather then etc websites say lol

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Probably around 17-18c

11. OmarAsim4 Initiate Member

So guys @BottomDweller and @JesseMoreira06 should I do the temp 20c , what do u suggest should I make it 20 directly or slowly decrease it and what were u saying about breeding ? For breeding should I keep 20 all year long please note I have comets . Can u please brief in the breeding process because breeding thing is quite new to me as I haven't done it before with comets

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Here's what I do for breeding goldies

1) Make sure they have a good hibernation period. A lot of people don't realise how important this is

2) Slowly bring them out of hibernation and split up the males and females. Make sure the females don't have too many real or fake plants.

3) Condition them for breeding. This usually takes about 8 weeks. It involves feeding a wide range of foods, slowly bringing the temperature up to about 18c and increasing the amount of time the lights are left on for. These all help the fish think it's spring.

4) When the fish are ready to breed the males will develop breeding tubercles and the females will become much fatter.

5) Set up a breeding tank with very very low filtration. It should be bare bottom or have marbles on the bottom with loads of fake plants and spawning mops. The temperature should be about 20c

6) Put the males and females together in the breeding tank in the evening. You generally want 3 males for every 2 females to ensure the majority of the eggs get fertilized.

7) They should spawn the next morning from dawn to about midday. If they do not spawn give them another day. If they still do not spawn then split them up again and continue to condition them.

8) Spawning is tough on the fish, especially the female, so split them up and spend some time helping them recover before putting the males and females back together.

9) Remove the marbles in the breeding tank and make sure you are using sponge filtration. Airstones are good too and seem to increase the hatch rate.