Best temp for German blue rams?

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I am new to fish keeping.
I am looking into GBBs for my new tank, but am finding lots of conflicting info on what temp to keep them at.
Some sites insist high 70s is ok while some say they need to be in the low 80s at least.
What’s the best temp in your experience?

thanks for any advice :)

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven’t kept them personally, but I think 82 is the recommended minimum for GBR to thrive

OP
M

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it.

Cale24

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
82-84F Seems the most common sweet spot. In rimless tanks, one needs to be careful for too much fluctuation in temperature. So, smaller heaters would for instance struggle if the room temp gets a little cold in winter. All my tanks are rimless and I found raising the temp to 84F helped things for breeding and I theorise it may be because of that. Consistency is the magic word for anything related to rams, including temperature.

OP
M

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cale24 said:
82-84F Seems the most common sweet spot. In rimless tanks, one needs to be careful for too much fluctuation in temperature. So, smaller heaters would for instance struggle if the room temp gets a little cold in winter. All my tanks are rimless and I found raising the temp to 84F helped things for breeding and I theorise it may be because of that. Consistency is the magic word for anything related to rams, including temperature.
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it:)

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Keeping away from fluctuations is the key. I have my tank with them at about 83 consistently. I even have some fish in there that prefer a little cooler, but they seem to do fine as well. I think as long as it's kept consistent, most fishes will adjust to something that may be a little above what is considered their norm temp. It's like how I am when I visit Florida! :)

New Threads