Best temp for betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Krissbettagary, Apr 7, 2010.

1. KrissbettagaryValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    When I put Gary in his hex 5 the temp has stayed close to 80 degrees. It doesn't vary more than one degree. Lately Gary tends to hang around the top of the tank, usually under the filter inflow. He acts a little bored. I just figured it was him getting older. He fins look a little torn up too.

The last few days I decided to unplug his heater and see if the temp is bothering him. Today the temp was down to about 76 and he was much active. His water is 0, 0, 15 with a ph of 7.6. In fact he was flaring me and being very playful. Then before I left for the night, I have him some garlic water and a little chunk of the garlic and he was diving to catch it and attack it. When I walked back the tank he acted all guilty and was lying sideways under on of his toys trying to attack the garlic. When he gave me eye contact (yes I have eye contact with my fish..you do too...admit it) he stopped and acted like he wasn't doing anything. It was pretty funny.

Anyways, I guess I am wondering if your fish like different temps?

2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I suggest 74-80 degrees. Some bettas like it cooler.

3. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

If he seems happy at 76 I'd leave it there :)

4. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

I keep my betta tanks between 78 and 80. As long as you can keep your temp stable you should be fine with 76. What bettas don't like is temp changes.

5. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I also keep Wriggley's tank at 80 degrees.

Ken

7. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

78 seems to be the perfect temp for Bettas...

8. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Phew! My dad told me that our 29 gal. was 76*, and I was shocked! Thought it should be closer to 80 for bettas. Glad our temp is ok for Charlemagne.