Best Tank Mate For A Betta?

AnglerTheStrangler

Hi,

Wanted to get some opinions on what a good tank mate for a male Betta Fish. I was thinking about getting a mystery snail because I was researching and found that they eat algae and don’t tend to take over tanks(laying lots of eggs)like other snails. Anyone have any experience with them? I’m also a little concerned because I don’t want whatever I bring in to be bullied by my Betta. Is the only way of testing that trial and error?

Desi

Fanatic

There are options for fish compatible with bettas, but I don’t recommend it. Stick with shrimp or snails.

david1978

Snails are generally pretty tough creatures. Even if the betta picks on it at first it has a shell for protection and they usually give up after a short time.

Repolie

Snails are the go-to companions for a betta, specifically Nerite Snails because Mystery Snails have antennas that look very appetizing while Nerites have short ones. So it's a risk.

Ash Paws

I had a big mystery snail with my male betta and they did just fine but, then again, every betta is different so take into account your betta's personality.

gian ando

I have a Pleco and my betta never EVER bothers him. One time my Pleco went on top of my betta (didn’t suck on her just went over) and she didn’t care, had 0 interest whatsoever

gian ando said:
I have a Pleco and my betta never EVER bothers him. One time my Pleco went on top of my betta (didn’t suck on her just went over) and she didn’t care, had 0 interest whatsoever
My friend also has a Pleco with a betta, his betta doesn’t care about the Pleco either. Be sure to get a big tank if you get a Pleco, they can get 2 feet long. I heard they had special breeds that only grew to 6 inches though.

Ash Paws

gian ando said:
My friend also has a Pleco with a betta, his betta doesn’t care about the Pleco either. Be sure to get a big tank if you get a Pleco, they can get 2 feet long. I heard they had special breeds that only grew to 6 inches though.
Otocinclus plecos can get to about 1 inch long.

gian ando

Ash Paws said:
I may be wrong but I’m sure that even though Plecos are Catfish not all Catfish are plecos. I’m quite sure Otocinclus’ are not Plecos. They are very similar though, one problem are that Otocinclus’ are delicate fish and can die easily in bad conditions. Adult Plecos, even small ones; are very tough, very hardy, and are definitely one of the hardest fish to kill. Otocinclus’ may not get along well with a betta, I wouldn’t know since I haven’t owned one.

david1978

Don't take this wrong but when giving advice at least know what your giving advice about. Thanks.

AnglerTheStrangler

Desi said:
I have mystery snails in an three of my Bettas tanks and they do really well together
I have 3 Betta tanks as well. Did your Bettas seem to try to attack the snail at all or just kind of curious about it?

Fanatic said:
There are options for fish compatible with bettas, but I don’t recommend it. Stick with shrimp or snails.
Yeah I was mainly asking shrimp or snails. I just think Bettas are non other fish kinda fish lol

david1978 said:
Snails are generally pretty tough creatures. Even if the betta picks on it at first it has a shell for protection and they usually give up after a short time.
Any recommendations as far as what type of snail? Do all snails pretty much lay eggs? Don’t know too much about snails..

gian ando said:
Yeah my Bettas are in 10 gallon tanks so 2 feet would probably be a little too small.

Ash Paws said:
Are they pretty good around Bettas?

AnglerTheStrangler

Sorry, I’m not sure how to send all my reply’s in one post..

Coradee

Hi, click on the quote button under each post you want to quote then under the reply box, click ‘insert quotes’

david1978

Mystery snails lay a clutch of eggs above the water line so you can just watch for them and remove them. Nerite snails will bejewel all over the tank but they won't hatch in freshwater. Those are the 2 most popular then you have rabbit snail, trumpet snails, bladder snails, assassin snails and the list goes on and on. Lol

Nappers

I have a 'red racer' nerite, that's quite cool.
Coreydoras are my favourite active catfish and won't be bothered by a betta imo.
You can try lots of peaceful fish but anything has some risk. If you want to try it's probably best to have somewhere else to put them if it doesn't work well (set up a small tank).
I'd buy from LFS or contact that will likely take stock back (if intact).
General rule I think is a peaceful fish without long bright finnage, rummynose or lampeye tetra?
I will be trying with CPD but haven't yet...

AddieG

Fredbetta86 said:
Hi,

Wanted to get some opinions on what a good tank mate for a male Betta Fish. I was thinking about getting a mystery snail because I was researching and found that they eat algae and don’t tend to take over tanks(laying lots of eggs)like other snails. Anyone have any experience with them? I’m also a little concerned because I don’t want whatever I bring in to be bullied by my Betta. Is the only way of testing that trial and error?
My male betta fish Melon loves his ghost shrimp. He doesn't even try to bully them. Before I had mystery snails, and he bullied those guys. I would recommend ghost shrimp.

BettaBoi1408

Fredbetta86 said:
Hi,

Hi! Ghost shrimp will be perfect for your Betta, if it is in filtered water. Also, a good option would be African Dwarf Frogs. HOWEVER, if you are planning to go get ADFs, make sure to get them not from PetSMart. They may have Chitrid.

SuperMon

Another betta! Kidding, but yes ghost shrimp with a marimo ball would be entertaining to watch. My ghost shrimp always die . . .wish you luck with them

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom