best sword for situation:

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I have a 36G bowfront (21" high, 12-15" wide) that I want to be a planted community. It will have medium light, plan on dosing with flourish and excel, and use root tabs for anything in the substrate. I really want to try a sword, just not have a monster plant take over my tank. My original thought is a melon sword. I like the color, nice round leaves, and it grows up. Any experience with them or suggestions on others?

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have a melon sword. They are really great especially when they have that red color to them. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406087472.234265.jpg
    As you can see, that's one of my melon swords. I think this will look great in your tank. You can also try other swords like amazon swords or Rubin swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Red flame, red ozelot, kleiner bar, indian red are some of my favorites. You can trim them back if they get too big so it's no biggie as far as overgrowth is concerned. You would rather have too much to work with than not enough and have to get extra plants to make up the difference.

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Stay away from amazon swords, they grew huge and do take over.

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

+1 to jeta. I was literally going to say almost that exact thing lol.

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Red Melon and Oriental Swords are nice. Though the Oriental new leaves are pink and fade to a light green as it matures.

Ozelot will grow 18" tall. One of my favorites.