Best Substrate For Bettas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Bettafishgal, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Bettafishgal

BettafishgalValued MemberMember

My betta's currently have finrot and im concerend that the gravel might also be cutting their fins. So my question's are the following.

1. What would be better for live plants, dirt or sand? A few burried the other's not.

2. I siphone my tanks everday due to the finrot, so will I be constantly making the water cloudy?

3. Is their a size restriction (like a 1 gal) for sand/dirt?

4. Can I do a 100 add the dirt/sand and Add the fish in? I know I know it's very important to cycle but this is alittle bit of a emergency D;

5:MAYBE MORE QUESTIONS LATER OOOF.

2. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

If you it’s use dirt, you will cloud up your water every time you use it! Use sand, it can grow live plants, as well as it being easier to vacuum! I don’t know about the size restriction.

Tagged people: @Feohw @TheBettaSushi

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Nothing wrong with using dirt, but it will make your water dirty at first which can be corrected, and it is usually capped with another substrate.

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

1. It really depends. Rhizome plants such as anubias and java fern don't really need substrate. Sand is perfectly fine for growing rooted plants, as long as you have root tabs.

2. The water won't be cloudy if you're doing a daily water change.

3. I don't think there's a size restriction for adding sand/dirt.

4. You can do a bare bottom tank. And keep up with the daily water changes if you're cycling a tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

I could but it dosnt seem right to the fish, If i did sand would it stir up the stand up/make it cloudy eveytime I siphone?

6. Crispii

Did you rinse the sand good enough before adding it in the aquarium?

7. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

I didnt even buy it yet XD! I'm just planning for tomorrow or the day after.

8. Biiba

BiibaValued MemberMember

I have always used the larger size river type rocks/gravel with my bettas and they’re quite smooth. When I had live plants I used root tabs and they worked great under the gravel :)

9. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

Oh my gosh, thanks alot but your betta is SOO pretty! I'd love to see a photo of him if you can :D

10. Jimmie93

Jimmie93Valued MemberMember

I would just get some easy plants like moss or duckweed and use sand as substrate. Planted dirt tanks is ok for big long term tanks but you don't need it in a small tank with a few gallons of water it's so much easier to just do more water changes.

11. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

My local fish stores dont have moss or duckweed ;(

12. Jimmie93

I actually sell both send me a message if you are interested. I would also convert to sponge filters if you don't have them already.

13. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

What make's them better?

14. Crispii

In terms of...

15. Jimmie93

More surface area gives the bacteria more places to grow and air and flow is what creates bacteria.

16. Biiba

BiibaValued MemberMember

17. Humanartrebel1020

Humanartrebel1020New MemberMember

Do you have a filter?? How long have they had fin rot for?

18. Biiba

BiibaValued MemberMember

There you go! Sadly he has now passed but he used to spend all day building bubble nests and he was huge lol :)

19. OP
    OP
    Bettafishgal

Yes he has finrot and his fin's were growing very well, then he started biting his tail D;

Hes So cute! So sorry for your loss :(