Best Stores to Buy Fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mrs.Price, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Ok, I tried searching the forum put couldn't find anything obvious about this topic. I'm going to be purchasing a couple fish today, and I was wondering what the best stores to buy from were (I know breeders are the best, but)... I usually buy from petsmart, the fish I've gotten there have been healthy, and their tanks look nice and rarely do I ever see dead fish (unless it's a betta, I see those often)... what other stores can I buy from that have a reputation of being "not that bad" in regards to their water quality and the health of their stock, any recommendations? :)

2. soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

In my experience with PetSmart, PetCo, Pet Supplies Plus type stores, some locations are better than others but they're almost always better than any walmart, meijer, etc etc.

There has to be a Mom/Pop type LFS around you somewhere. one of my local fav's just closed because the heat went out and the landlord took to long to fix it and most of their stock died. :(

3. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

We have a Jack's Aquarium, only mom and pop around here... but they do not have good water quality and a lot of their fish are sick and die, or are already dead in the tank. So I guess I'll just do some rounds and see who's got the best variety. :)

4. N2GongfuValued MemberMember

I wanna go!!! Actually we have it really good here in Southern Ca when it comes to fish stores!! Ever order fish online? I havent ... yet.

5. kellyiswicked

kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I just want to second what soarl said - Petsmarts and Petcos and other chains are hit or miss. I've gotten beautiful fish from both, but I've also been in stores where I would never buy a living fish. I would trust your gut. Just because it's a Petsmart doesn't mean the fish are unhealthy; just because it's a small, privately owned business doesn't mean the fish are fantastic specimens.

6. LorenHusky

LorenHuskyValued MemberMember

I will never ever buy fish from Petsmart after I saw their prices yesterday. 3 dollars a piece for platys? No thanks, I used to get them from Jacks for a dollar a piece. Maybe fish prices have gone up with everything else, I'm not sure.

7. N2GongfuValued MemberMember

They have pretty good sales every so often, I cant wait for their tetras to go on sale again, $1 each sometimes!! Beautiful Husky!! I had a Malamute years ago.

8. freak78

freak78Well Known MemberMember

I'm very fortunate have 3 really good mom and pop fish stores by me. That's where I buy all my fish from.

9. kevin215

kevin215Valued MemberMember

The tetras are on sale now at petsmart also "algae eaters" for $1.

I agree with everybody petsmart/petco are hit or miss depending on the location.

10. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

my great uncle use to own a fish store about 40 years ago and he bought 100 neons for 6$ :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice