Best Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by mac12340, Apr 22, 2017.

1. mac12340Valued MemberMember

What are the best sponge filters for someone on a budget

2. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

First, what's your budget? Second, what tank size do you have?

3. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

My LFS has them for around 7.00, but I just make my own.

4. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

The ones with a bio media slot in addition to the sponge. Throw in denigrate or purigen as needed.

Usually under 20 dollars... plus air pump.

5. mac12340Valued MemberMember

Budget is 10-15 dollars and tank is a 40 breeder

6. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Do you already have an air pump? I like Hydor sponges, you can find them online for under $20, I think my Hydor II was $9. There are Chinese knockoffs but I prefer the Hydors

7. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

There is no best sponge filter, they are all the same my friend, in fact, you can do one.
    I use corner/box filters instead of sponges because I can just add cycled media to it instead of having a ugly sponge filter hanging around in my "display" tanks. They plastic boxes cost me a buck.
    Anything more than 8 dolars for a sponge filter and I feel I am being robbed.

8. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Bean, these days there are some newer versions are crazy. Like purigen on one side and denitrate on the other... and maybe use them to take water back into a parent tank if in a fry tank...

Check out this style.

Amazon.com : Powkoo Double Super Biochemical Sponge Filter, Max Aquarium fish Tank 60 Gallons (Filter) : Pet Supplies

9. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Both purigen and denitrate are things I can put right into my box filter so I am confused about that comment.
    The sponge looks cool but I am a simple man and only use sponge type filters for my non-display tanks, so I really dont care about looks, specially if I have to spend 20 bucks on it.:rolleyes: I like box filters because I decide what I put in, which is more versatile that a sponge.

10. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Ah. I like the sponges for fry or shrimp to feed off of. It gives the advantages of both.

11. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I personally like the double sponge filters sold on ebay cheap. The larger size is rated for a 20 gallon tank. If you are using only the sponges, I would suggest 2 minimum, but 3 would be more ideal. If you are just wanting a sponge filter as some supplemental filtration, than 1 will do great. Here is a link, for around $6.5o, but not the normal company I prefer, they are currently out of this size (CII Pets for around $5.99)...

Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Betta Fry Fish Tank Suction Double Sponge XY-2822 L | eBay

You can also buy the replacement sponges, so over time when the sponge gets too dirty to clean well, you can replace them. With the dual sponge design you can clean/replace them one at a time so as not to destroy the entire bacteria colony, only half.

12. CycerathValued MemberMember

i like the double ones too. idk if there's really a difference between them and the single large sponge filters but aesthetically it looks better to me. surface area seems to be the key when it comes to sponge filters, more room means more bacteria. 2 might provide more area then 1, that's all i can really see in the way of one being better than another.

13. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

I used the double-sponge versions, too, partially because I like how they look. However, I fully agree that the one-sponge designs work fine too. I actually use them in my main tanks because I like the activity that goes on around the sponges. Whether it's a sucker fish / otto or snails or shrimp, there is always something going on near and around the sponges.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice