Help Best sponge filter for an ADF Tank?

peppergene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
make one! I've made 3 in the last week or so. one for my betta fry tank and the other two because it was so easy and fun lol.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I also make my own. It is cost effective if you need a bunch of them. If you just need 1, it is cheaper to buy a commercially made one.

peppergene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yea, they're not expensive. I made all of mine out of stuff laying around the house. All the filters cost me was the time it took to make them, besides the air pump.

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have extra sponge, air lining and a pump in storage... How do you make it exactly?

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it may be better to just buy it.

I'm pretty crafty on some things, but fish tank stuff, not so much unless it's something like dividing an aquarium for two Bettas.

peppergene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was going to post some links, but I'm not sure on the rules about that on the forum. It's pretty simple once you understand how they work. do some googling, you'll figure it out lol. I made mine from empty fish food containers, ugf uptake tubes and sponge. You have to use a certain type of sponge though.

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone has different talents. This is not my area of expertise. Trust on that.

peppergene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
haha that's true. They are only a few dollars. I had to make mine because none of my lfs carry mine. I didn't want to buy something off the web that would cost more to ship than the item itself cost lol.

peppergene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like that. Looks a bit more simple and easier to make than mine. I may post pics of mine in a bit.

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't get how just an air pump through a canister like that will be an actual filter.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As the air bubbles rise, they create a vacuum behind them which is filled by the water behind that. So, that draws the water to and through the filter

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't like that at all. I'll just get a small box filter or a really cheap underrated filter. It makes too much bubble noises and disturbs the water too much.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom