Best sponge filter for an ADF Tank? Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by AlexAlex, Dec 13, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I need opinions and suggestions on the best inexpensive and low current sponge filter for a 10 Gallon ADF tank.

Thanks in advance -

Alex :)

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

With sponge filters, you can easily adjust the current by the amount of air being pushed through it. Use a small air pump and you should be fine.

3. p

peppergene New Member Member

make one! I've made 3 in the last week or so. one for my betta fry tank and the other two because it was so easy and fun lol.

4. C

I also make my own. It is cost effective if you need a bunch of them. If you just need 1, it is cheaper to buy a commercially made one.

5. p

yea, they're not expensive. I made all of mine out of stuff laying around the house. All the filters cost me was the time it took to make them, besides the air pump.

6. OP
    OP
    A

I have extra sponge, air lining and a pump in storage... How do you make it exactly?

7. C

You need PVC and rigid airline tubing. I'll need to make a thread on how I have made my filters. I've had other people ask too.

8. OP
    OP
    A

I think it may be better to just buy it.

I'm pretty crafty on some things, but fish tank stuff, not so much unless it's something like dividing an aquarium for two Bettas.

9. p

Was going to post some links, but I'm not sure on the rules about that on the forum. It's pretty simple once you understand how they work. do some googling, you'll figure it out lol. I made mine from empty fish food containers, ugf uptake tubes and sponge. You have to use a certain type of sponge though.

10. OP
    OP
    A

Everyone has different talents. This is not my area of expertise. Trust on that. :)

11. p

haha that's true. They are only a few dollars. I had to make mine because none of my lfs carry mine. I didn't want to buy something off the web that would cost more to ship than the item itself cost lol.

12. C

This is one of my home made sponge filters. You can use an air pump with a gang valve to filter several tanks at once.

13. p

I like that. Looks a bit more simple and easier to make than mine. I may post pics of mine in a bit.

14. OP
    OP
    A

Wait.... I have an old "in gravel" filter sponge with tubing coming out of it... Would that work?

15. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You can post links that pertain to the topic.
    Thank you for being considerate. :)

16. p

here's a link to a video I found pretty helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAZBVnny7Bg It has some useful information in the intro of the video but you probably know most if not all of it lol.

Here's some pics of mine: IMG_20121213_152707.jpg IMG_20121213_152738.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    A

I don't get how just an air pump through a canister like that will be an actual filter.

18. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As the air bubbles rise, they create a vacuum behind them which is filled by the water behind that. So, that draws the water to and through the filter

19. OP
    OP
    A

I'll try it with an underground filter and fix it up to see if that works.

20. OP
    OP
    A

I didn't like that at all. I'll just get a small box filter or a really cheap underrated filter. It makes too much bubble noises and disturbs the water too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice