5 Gallon Tank Best Sponge filter for 5g

Fishyfishyfishman

I was thinking about getting a 5 gallon and was wondering what the best sponge filter is. I do have a budget and can’t spend more than 30–40. What is the best?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Welcome to the forum. I think Corys sponge filters are pretty good ones. Not sure about the price tho

Jonahtheplecolvr

I use Aquatop sponge filters because that is the only thing my lfs sells. They are pretty good and are like 10-20 dollars depending on the size.

StarGirl

I have one that is for a 20g in my 5g. I think this time it was $9.99, Do you have a air pump already? Usually a small one to run a sponge is like around $20. Mine is Aquatop too. I like them they work good.

Jonahtheplecolvr

a small one to run a sponge is like around $20.
Wow I only paid $10 for my tetra air pump. I didn't know some cost $20.

StarGirl

Wow I only paid $10 for my tetra air pump. I didn't know some cost $20.
Yeah I dont remember exactly...lol I went high to be safe. ;) Last time I got a sponge filter it was $6.99 also. :cool:

Fishyfishyfishman

okay thanks I will have to see what my LFS carries. I do not have an air pump but will get one soon. I am going to mature it in my 10g for a while first. But should probably wait until the melafix/Pimafix is out. (Fin rot been in the tank for a while no labyrinth fish and moved snails) So will wait a little first. I suppose I need to do some of my own research. Also thoughts on a 5 gallon with a pair of clown killies and a pair of scarlet badis And neocaridina shirmp?
That’s what the filter would be for

StarGirl

okay thanks I will have to see what my LFS carries. I do not have an air pump but will get one soon. I am going to mature it in my 10g for a while first. But should probably wait until the melafix/Pimafix is out. (Fin rot been in the tank for a while no labyrinth fish and moved snails) So will wait a little first. I suppose I need to do some of my own research. Also thoughts on a 5 gallon with a pair of clown killies and a pair of scarlet badis And neocaridina shirmp?
That’s what the filter would be for
I would do the Killies OR Badis, not both with some shrimp. The badis may still chase the shrimp.

Fishyfishyfishman

Yeah i know. Ive read they can Be a pain to feed and hoped the juveniles would be eaten so I would be able to keep better care of the badis. Why not both? Is it to much waste. I have read several things saying people have successfully done that before.

StarGirl

Yeah i know. Ive read they can Be a pain to feed and hoped the juveniles would be eaten so I would be able to keep better care of the badis. Why not both? Is it to much waste. I have read several things saying people have successfully done that before.
I mean you could always try it. I have my Badis in my 9g tank. They need room to chase, they do it a lot. Just make sure you have a back up plan. The waste load shouldnt be a problem, just territorial spats.

Fishyfishyfishman

I was thinking a male and female… do they get territorial?
Ugh I wont be allowed to get enough tanks for a backup plan

StarGirl

I was thinking a male and female… do they get territorial?
Ugh I wont be allowed to get enough tanks for a backup plan
I would go with the Killies then knowing how my Badis are. They can be very picky and eat only live food.

Yes they get territorial especially when they have eggs.

Fishyfishyfishman

Oh okay thanks I might do Asian stone catfish then. I love those Was going to get those then decided against it for my 10g and am going to get Pygmy corys. Not relevant. Although do you see any reason not too put the anchor cats? Is that filter you were talking about the “Aquatop Aquatic Supplies Classic Aqua Flow Sponge Aquarium Filter Up To 10 Gal CAF-10” It almost looks like you put extra media in. not sure if thats what you meant. Should I just get what my LFS has? They seem to work its what they use in almost all their tanks And we have one running and its working great As far as i can tell.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl