Best snail eaters for a 37 gal?

Tinnybell

Honestly I'm just getting overwhelmed with all the information out there now, lol. Please help!

I am setting up my standard 37 gal and the stocking will start with as follows:

8 rasboras
2 serpae tetras and one x-ray tetra that were rescues (not getting more)
1 Bristlenose pleco
2-4 bolivian rams (haven't got yet)
Snail eaters???

I have an overpopulation of bladder snails in my old tank, and want something that will eat any hijackers after the move. PFS will be the substrate, will be a planted tank with caves. I was considering pygmy cories but read that they may not be big enough to eat the adult snails. Also considering panda cories or kuhli loaches.

Thoughts??

ForBettaorForWorse

I mean, I'm not an expert, but from what I have seen and heard, assassin snails are a good option for pest snail outbreaks. I don't know the specifics on it though, like now many to get for a 37 gallon tank...

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Some Corie will not eat snails. I wouldn't count on that at all. I didn't think they would at all until I just read a few articles that said they "might" eat them. It sounds like they may eat the eggs pretty good though, reducing the population some.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am sure you have heard this before but here it goes again :) If you are having an explosion of snails you are overfeeding the tank. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around this because I didn't think I was over feeding. In my case it was/is ramshorn snails.

It proved to be true in the tank I was growing out mystery snails in. I was keeping food in for them all the time to keep them growing quickly. I knew I had a few ramshorns in this tank but seldom ever saw them. By the time the mystery snails were big enough to move to another tank the small tank had literally hundreds of ramshorns in it. I am slowly getting them back under control by pulling them out by the dozens daily. I would just add a couple of assassins in there but I have pet snails in there too.

I've seen corys eat snails but only after I have crushed them. Mine have never gone after live snails though. Assassin snails and less food in the tank may be your best option for preventing an explosion.

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

Cory’s eat snails !??? From all the cory’s I’ve had over the years I’ve never , ever seen this! I will now need to test this with the thousands of mts I have! ive witnessed my pleco suck one or two out of a shell over time but I assume they must of been sickly or weak as he usually leaves them alone. Personally I’d try an assassin snail like others above have said and try a starve day or two a week to ensure you’re not over feeding, give it a month or two and see how things are going.
Do you have sand by any chance ? I had to remove all my snails recently to another tank for a treatment and bought a small sieve , scooped sand with a plastic cup and sieved it , snails were left in the sieve and all sand just filtered out. It’s time consuming but if they really are a pest it’s worth it

Upvote 0

Tinnybell

You can substitute the Bolivian rams for African butterfly cichlids, Anomalochromis thomasi, which are not only beautiful but are excellent snail eaters, even MTS.
Interesting! I will keep an eye out for this species, thank you

Upvote 0

FishFiendSP

I've never had had my julii cories (which are about 2.25in long btw) eat the few bladder snails I have in my 90 gallon. I simply make sure that I don't over feed and keep the algae population down. I've found that the best solution is to not try to remove them all since there'll always be more (trust me, I tried for three months and there was always another one to remove). I'd suggest the assassin snails since they've worked great for me as well as removing about 5-10 by hand each day while you're doing maintenance and eventually you'll have barely any. Bladder snails are fine when kept at a low population since they also help clean up and eat algae but when in huge numbers, look disgusting.

Upvote 0

RogueFebreze

puffers are all excellent snail eaters, plus they come with a lot of personality if your interested in personable fish

Upvote 0

MacZ

Snail eaters.... Algae eaters... People, listen to mattgirl reduced feeding, collection by hand and if there are no intentional snails in the tank a handful of assassins. That's all one should do.
Corydoras would rarely eat snails. More like an opportunistic thing, but they are not even able to eat them if they are not on the substrate.
Definitely do not go with any advice for puffers or loaches, they might be not compatible with the other fish, the water or the setup, and they definitely require good care when their "job" is done. If they ever explicitly do it and don't just eat what you feed the other fish. I also won't endorse any fish for a certain task, that is discarded (returned/rehomed) afterwards.

Upvote 0

FishFiendSP

I agree with MacZ with puffers and loaches since that idea has the intention of killing every single snail along with them or the other fish depending on the tank setup and stocking. Also on the topic of cories, I believe only the larger cories would try because the smaller ones simply aren't able to fit them in their mouths or have the suction power to pull them out of the shells.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Moonee
Replies
Views
Pandagiggle
  • Question
Replies
Views
SHarvey11780