Best size to sell shell dwellers?

jkkgron2

Hi everyone!

As some of you may know, my shellies recently bred and I want to sell them once I’ve grown them out. I’ve never sold fish before, so I don’t know whats a good size or price for the shellies. I was thinking 5 half-inch fry for $10? Then, once they get older (about 1-2 inches) I’d sell them individually for $5?

Please let me know what size you think I should sell them, and what I should sell them for!

AggressiveAquatics

I don’t know if they are worth more or not but I can tell you if I were to be a customer those prices are good and I wouldn’t question anything

Flyfisha

Hi jkkgron2
IMO they should be sold in groups of 6 -8 as a minimum.

They are $20 Australian each. My local club members try to keep the price high.
Sell them for half the price of YOUR local shops. Perhaps have a few free ones in the bag to sweeten the deal?

Just catching this species takes time.
I found a bottle trap to be the best way to catch a few every 2 hours. It’s best to empty the trap every 2 hours in my opinion and not leave it set up overnight.

Once you have a few dozen you will not be concerned about the size of those you are selling. Anything over half grown is suitable for sale . Anything smaller is released from the trap.

As you trap release into a separate tank or a hang on front breeding box that’s air driven. This will give you the 24 hours needed to catch a couple of bags full.

John58ford

My lfs has been doing multis $12 for a random individual. They had some similIs for $15. The best they offered on the multis was 2 for $20.

That said, they were tank bred and breeding in store, they offered to let me take proven pairs for $30. I would think once you can identify a male and female pair (or a male and harem) is when you can make some money on them. As juvies I think your prices are more than fair, and it would take some time for them to grow out in your buyers tanks and start breeding. A group of 5 juvenile honestly should have at least one possible pair, maybe 2 so I would think up to $20 for 5. Are you shipping those or selling locally? Getting the value of the fish high enough to justify shipping is the real cost.

jkkgron2

Flyfisha said:
Hi jkkgron2
IMO they should be sold in groups of 6 -8 as a minimum.

They are $20 Australian each. My local club members try to keep the price high.
Sell them for half the price of YOUR local shops. Perhaps have a few free ones in the bag to sweeten the deal?

Just catching this species takes time.
I found a bottle trap to be the best way to catch a few every 2 hours. It’s best to empty the trap every 2 hours in my opinion and not leave it set up overnight.

Once you have a few dozen you will not be concerned about the size of those you are selling. Anything over half grown is suitable for sale . Anything smaller is released from the trap.

As you trap release into a separate tank or a hang on front breeding box that’s air driven. This will give you the 24 hours needed to catch a couple of bags full.
My LFS sells 1 inch ones for $15, so I’m guessing a lot of people would want to buy the ones I’m selling, if I sell 1 inch ones for $8? If anyone wants 5+ I’d offer to throw in a freebie. Right now the fry are about 1/8 of an inch, and I’ll be transferring them to a 6.5g grow out for the time being once the parents abandon them.

John58ford said:
My lfs has been doing multis $12 for a random individual. They had some similIs for $15. The best they offered on the multis was 2 for $20.

That said, they were tank bred and breeding in store, they offered to let me take proven pairs for $30. I would think one you can identify a male and female pair (or a male and harem) is when you can make some money on them. As juvies I think your prices are more than fair, and it would take some time for them to grow out in your buyers tanks and start breeding. A group of 5 juvenile honestly should have at least one possible pair, maybe 2 so I would think up to $20 for 5. Are you shipping those or selling locally? Getting the value of the fish high enough to justify shipping is the real cost.
I don’t think I’ll be growing them out enough to be able to get some male female pairs. Since I have a small grow out tank I want to be able to sell most of them at 1/2 inch, and then I’ll be able to grow the remaining juveniles out so they reach around an inch. The species I’m selling is neolamprologus caudopunctatus, and I haven’t seen many for sale in my area.

I won’t be shipping them. It gets really cold in MN during the winter, so I’d be concerned with it getting too cold for the fish.

Flyfisha

Be careful if you move fry to a grow out .That may just start another colony of the flipping things.
When I sold my shellies I had over 80 in a two foot 83 litre/ 22 gallon having already sold dozens pre Covid-19. I found the fry to grow successfully in the adult tank if you just feed everyone lots including brine shrimp daily.
With that number I was doing two or three 40% water changes per week.
To get good growth with any fry multiply water changes are the key in my opinion.

jkkgron2

Flyfisha said:
Be careful if you move fry to a grow out .That may just start another colony of the flipping things.
When I sold my shellies I had over 80 in a two foot 83 litre/ 22 gallon having already sold dozens pre Covid-19. I found the fry to grow successfully in the adult tank if you just feed everyone lots including brine shrimp daily.
With that number I was doing two or three 40% water changes per week.
To get good growth with any fry multiply water changes are the key in my opinion.
80?! Wow!!! Right now I’m doing 40% weekly, but I’ll be upping it as the fry get older. I wish that I could keep these guys in the main tank, but I have one of the more aggressive species that just needs more space if I were to raise them in the main tank. In the 6.5g I’ll be doing 20% water changes every 3 days. If all goes well with the endler I’m introducing to the grow out tank (to make sure it’s cycled and safe for the babies- I will remove the endler before adding any babies) then I’ll be moving over a few babies next week, although most will be left with the parents.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom