Best Size Filter For 77gal (292l) Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Pishies, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Hi, I am in Australia and I have been researching filters for the new tank I am setting up. Its a 292 litre or 77 gallon tank.

Because everything I am reading applies to the brand of filters and measurements in gallons that are available in the US but not in Australia, its hard to do a comparison.

My question is:

Am I better off getting one big canister that filters 2700 litres per hour (which is a bit big perhaps) or get 2 smaller canister filters. If I am better off with 2 filters....what size? Should I add any other type of filtration in a tank that size?

Does the 5 x tank volume for filtration also apply when calculating in litres instead of gallons?

Thanks!

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You are going to want a minimum of 5x's turn over in your tank with a canister filter. You could do two smaller ones, if it is cheaper that way.

If what you are finding is lph instead of gph it is the same concept. You are looking at 1460/lph turnover rate per hour at least...Hope that makes sense

3. OP
    OP
    Pishies

The filters I am looking at in Australia do a 1400LPH and the next size up is 2700LPH, so a big jump with nothing in between. The 2 smaller ones would be a little bit more expensive, but I want to do whats best for the fishies. One huge filter or 2 smaller ones.

4. APierce

You could get the 1400LPH one and then throw a couple of sponge filters in to make up the difference, might be the cheapest route.

5. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Hmmmm ......Yes would be cheaper but then I have valuable space being taken up by sponges. I have never had a canister before and they are very expensive in Australia. Just want to make the best decision from not much choice in my country.

6. APierce

I keep sponges in my tanks as back ups if I need to qt or for new tanks...something to think about. If you get the bigger canister then you will have more of a flow rate, so it would kind of depend on what kind of fish you plan on keeping (some fish don't like really high currents). You almost need something between what you have listed. Though, I would assume you could get away with just a smaller one so long as you were a little understocked, and did regular water changes.

7. OP
    OP
    Pishies

I plan to keep carindals and Congo Tetras. Good idea about the sponges for QT. But everytime I have a spare tank, I think about all the fish I could put in there instead of it being a QT ! I would have tanks everywhere if hubby would let me.

8. APierce

I feel your pain! I've been asked to restrict my hobby to one room :) I'd go with sponge filter(s) /canister filter combo with those types of fish honestly. They won't take up too much room in the tank and can be hidden in the corners if you get the corner fitting types.

9. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I would go with the 2 1400 lph filters, that way if one of them goes down you still have a filter that can carry the load until the filter is fixed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice