Best Set Up For A Qt Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by phenris, Jun 20, 2018.

1. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Couple questions!

1. What size is recommended? I have albino cories and bettas.

2. Should I worry about cycling it, since a lot of medications require 100% daily water changes anyway?

3. Is it best to keep it bare with no substrate or decorations?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

10 gallons is normally recommend for a regular QT tank. You can throw in a sponge filter to atleast have some water movement. It would need to be cycled but you can take media from your cycled tank to add into a QT when needed. But throw it away when you’re done. No substrate is best to be sure no parasites can hide in it. You can add some pvc pipes to allow the fish to hide.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

What kind of livestock are you quarantining? Generally most tropical fish will be fine in a 10 gallon qt, but like snails and shrimp and bettas will be okay with even smaller than that, but at the same time 10 gallons may be a bit tight for something a little larger like fancy goldfish.

4. OP
    OP
    phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

I'm going to be quarantining african dwarf frogs, but I'm going to get some other qt set-ups for my fish, which are bettas and albino cories. Nothing is wrong with them. Just want to have them on hand.

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

5 gallons is good enough for a permanent home for bettas and for ADFs. 10 gallons is probably a bit much for these species for qt. I’m sure they’d appreciate the extra swimming room, sure, but I’m also sure you’d rather save space since these are qt tanks. You’ll need a 10 gallon to qt the Corys though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice