Best schooling fish

1. sophieydg Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone

So I have found that some schooling fish 'school' better than others. My harlequin rasboras school quite often where was my neon tetras tend to just chill out by themselves. What fish would you guys say are the best schoolers?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Rummynose tetras are one of the best schooling fish imo

3. SW5 Well Known Member Member

If you are looking for a tight schooler, do not get bloodfin tetras, they're all over the place!! A lot of the time they "buddy up" and meander about the tank, unless they are frightened, such as if I drop something within 10 feet of the aquarium, then they go into a mad scramble to find each other and school, but usually they are going so fast that they miss each other, but eventually they will figure it out, then thy will school tightly for about 10 minutes, then they go back to scattering around the aquarium.

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

In general, fish who school will do it more tightly if they're freaked out, so loose schooling is actually a good sign about the tank's physical and social conditions ;)

5. sophieydg Well Known Member Member

That makes sense! They always tend to school more when I'm doing maintenance on the tank or something.

Alright, so maybe instead of fish that school well, what are some schooling fish that are quite active?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum