Best Schooling Fish For My Setup

1. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

Hi, everyone! :)

I'm currently in the process of cycling a 33g tank which I plan on using for a betta sorority.

With the sorority I took down a few years back, I found that the girls were a little too interested in chasing each other around. Now that I'm starting up again in a bigger, better setup, I'm looking for some hardy schooling fish that'll hopefully distract the girls from each other a bit.

I've thought about the classic zebra danios, which I have successfully kept with bettas in the past, but I had a school of them for years and want to try something new. I thought maybe neons or cardinals, but they bore me a bit, honestly.

My favorites right now are rummynose tetras. I've been aching to get some for a long time now, and think this might be my chance.

What do you guys think? What're some of your favorite schooling fish that would go nicely in my tank?

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

A school of rosy barbs, some say they are nippy but mine never bothered anything

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Neons and zebra danios need cooler water than bettas.
    Cardinals and rummy noses woild work best but personally I would just keep the sorority with kuhlis or cories, a clown pleco and maybe some shrimp and snails .

4. K

Keith83 Valued Member Member

I've read that Bettas don't do well with fast schooling fish. I have 7 giant danios and was looking into adding a Betta for a centerpiece. Everything I read said not to mix them. Fast fish won't let Bettas get to their food because they eat it all up first. Stress was another factor.

5. OP
    OP
    AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

I've never kept neons with cardinals, but I've kept danios and bettas together for a long before. Since they're both hardy and adaptable, I found a middle ground for the temperature.

I actually have a albino bn pleco that'll be going in there, as well as a six inch unidentified pleco, so I hadn't even considered more bottom feeders. Kuhlis in that tank might be awesome though! I've been wanting some for a long time. I'll definitely be adding some snails as well... not a huge shrimp fan.

I've kept both males and females in community tanks before, and most of them have been chill about it. Of course there's been a couple that have been stressed out, but I always have back up tanks for them just in case

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

i found glowlight tetras to be a good match but they aren't the brightest color or most active fish which is part of tge reason i went with them.

7. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i always hear harlequin rasboras go well with bettas. the rummynoses would probably work fine.