Best Sand for Cory Cats?

BroIncarnate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am going for white/beige sand and was wondering what brands you recommend, that are safe for cory cats!

Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have white pool filter sand. I picked it up from a local pool store. PFS would work very well!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I second the PFS. My cories really enjoy digging their faces into it.

BroIncarnate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sweet! ANy brand names to drop, or I guess it will differ on location, hah-

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have heard good things about PFS also. If you were open to darker (black with other color specs) sand, I would recommend Black Diamond Blasting Sand as that is what I use and my Cories seem to love it and no barbel damage.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pool filter sand is good for corys however I wouldn't go with white as in my experience it tends to go greeny brown after a while & depending what corys you have they can look washed out on too light a substrate.
The opposite happens when some species of corys are kept on black substrate, they tend to go very dark to try & blend in

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442954147.010565.jpg

Not too bad on light (off white) PFS.
Love the stuff

cichlidman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
play sand! easier to get than the other 2

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.

JimTheFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.
PFS and blasting sand are actually measured, all of the grains are around the same size and water flows easily through them (exactly the reason why PFS works as a filter)

Play sand is just randomly-sized, so you could end up with tiny grains filling the spaces between larger grains, which reduces internal water flow and allows such pockets to form. Even if you do use play sand, frequently raking it with a stick helps distribute oxygen within the substrate and reduces the chance of pockets forming.

Also, I noticed you were talking about cories... Isn't this supposed to be a saltwater area? (This question is in the wrong place.)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JimTheFishGuy said:
PFS and blasting sand are actually measured, all of the grains are around the same size and water flows easily through them (exactly the reason why PFS works as a filter)

Play sand is just randomly-sized, so you could end up with tiny grains filling the spaces between larger grains, which reduces internal water flow and allows such pockets to form. Even if you do use play sand, frequently raking it with a stick helps distribute oxygen within the substrate and reduces the chance of pockets forming.

Also, I noticed you were talking about cories... Isn't this supposed to be a saltwater area? (This question is in the wrong place.)
It's an old thread, and yes, it appears to be misplaced.

And agreed, PFS and BDBS aren't as likely to create the anaerobic air pockets. I meant only that that PFS is light colored like play sand.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thread has been moved to Freshwater substrates

JimTheFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
It's an old thread, and yes, it appears to be misplaced.

And agreed, PFS and BDBS aren't as likely to create the anaerobic air pockets. I meant only that that PFS is light colored like play sand.
There are light colored blasting sands too, I believe.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JimTheFishGuy said:
There are light colored blasting sands too, I believe.
I don't have experience with those, only BDBS which is only black I believe.

JimTheFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
I don't have experience with those, only BDBS which is only black I believe.
I think there are silica-based blasting sands too, which are closer to the traditional "quartz" color.

Greenplant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Is 20/40 medium grade the right grain size.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Greenplant said:
Is 20/40 medium grade the right grain size.
Feel it with your fingers if you can. As long as it's not sharp, it should be fine. Most people use very fine or fine grit, but I use medium myself.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads