Best Sand for Cory Cats?

BroIncarnate

Member
Hey guys!

I am going for white/beige sand and was wondering what brands you recommend, that are safe for cory cats!

Thanks
 

TexasDomer

Member
I have white pool filter sand. I picked it up from a local pool store. PFS would work very well!
 

el337

Member
I second the PFS. My cories really enjoy digging their faces into it.
 
  • Thread Starter

BroIncarnate

Member
Sweet! ANy brand names to drop, or I guess it will differ on location, hah-
 

alink

Member
I have heard good things about PFS also. If you were open to darker (black with other color specs) sand, I would recommend Black Diamond Blasting Sand as that is what I use and my Cories seem to love it and no barbel damage.
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Member
Pool filter sand is good for corys however I wouldn't go with white as in my experience it tends to go greeny brown after a while & depending what corys you have they can look washed out on too light a substrate.
The opposite happens when some species of corys are kept on black substrate, they tend to go very dark to try & blend in
 

DoubleDutch

Member


Not too bad on light (off white) PFS.
Love the stuff
 

cichlidman

Member
play sand! easier to get than the other 2
 

TexasDomer

Member
Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.
 

JimTheFishGuy

Member
TexasDomer said:
Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.
PFS and blasting sand are actually measured, all of the grains are around the same size and water flows easily through them (exactly the reason why PFS works as a filter)

Play sand is just randomly-sized, so you could end up with tiny grains filling the spaces between larger grains, which reduces internal water flow and allows such pockets to form. Even if you do use play sand, frequently raking it with a stick helps distribute oxygen within the substrate and reduces the chance of pockets forming.

Also, I noticed you were talking about cories... Isn't this supposed to be a saltwater area? (This question is in the wrong place.)
 

TexasDomer

Member
JimTheFishGuy said:
PFS and blasting sand are actually measured, all of the grains are around the same size and water flows easily through them (exactly the reason why PFS works as a filter)

Play sand is just randomly-sized, so you could end up with tiny grains filling the spaces between larger grains, which reduces internal water flow and allows such pockets to form. Even if you do use play sand, frequently raking it with a stick helps distribute oxygen within the substrate and reduces the chance of pockets forming.

Also, I noticed you were talking about cories... Isn't this supposed to be a saltwater area? (This question is in the wrong place.)
It's an old thread, and yes, it appears to be misplaced.

And agreed, PFS and BDBS aren't as likely to create the anaerobic air pockets. I meant only that that PFS is light colored like play sand.
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Member
Thread has been moved to Freshwater substrates
 

JimTheFishGuy

Member
TexasDomer said:
It's an old thread, and yes, it appears to be misplaced.

And agreed, PFS and BDBS aren't as likely to create the anaerobic air pockets. I meant only that that PFS is light colored like play sand.
There are light colored blasting sands too, I believe.
 

TexasDomer

Member
JimTheFishGuy said:
There are light colored blasting sands too, I believe.
I don't have experience with those, only BDBS which is only black I believe.
 

JimTheFishGuy

Member
TexasDomer said:
I don't have experience with those, only BDBS which is only black I believe.
I think there are silica-based blasting sands too, which are closer to the traditional "quartz" color.
 

Greenplant

Member
TexasDomer said:
Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.
Is 20/40 medium grade the right grain size.
 

TexasDomer

Member
Greenplant said:
Is 20/40 medium grade the right grain size.
Feel it with your fingers if you can. As long as it's not sharp, it should be fine. Most people use very fine or fine grit, but I use medium myself.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom