Best Sand for Cory Cats?

1. B

BroIncarnate Valued Member Member

Hey guys!

I am going for white/beige sand and was wondering what brands you recommend, that are safe for cory cats!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have white pool filter sand. I picked it up from a local pool store. PFS would work very well!

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I second the PFS. My cories really enjoy digging their faces into it. :)

4. OP
    OP
    B

BroIncarnate Valued Member Member

Sweet! ANy brand names to drop, or I guess it will differ on location, hah-

5. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I have heard good things about PFS also. If you were open to darker (black with other color specs) sand, I would recommend Black Diamond Blasting Sand as that is what I use and my Cories seem to love it and no barbel damage.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Pool filter sand is good for corys however I wouldn't go with white as in my experience it tends to go greeny brown after a while & depending what corys you have they can look washed out on too light a substrate.
    The opposite happens when some species of corys are kept on black substrate, they tend to go very dark to try & blend in

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442954147.010565.jpg

Not too bad on light (off white) PFS.
    Love the stuff

8. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

play sand! easier to get than the other 2

9. TexasDomer

Play sand isn't always better (isn't it easier to form the anaerobic pockets in play sand?), and it's light colored - same as the PFS. I have Black Diamond Blasting Sand too, and I love it - dark black and perfect for cories.

10. J

JimTheFishGuy Well Known Member Member

PFS and blasting sand are actually measured, all of the grains are around the same size and water flows easily through them (exactly the reason why PFS works as a filter)

Play sand is just randomly-sized, so you could end up with tiny grains filling the spaces between larger grains, which reduces internal water flow and allows such pockets to form. Even if you do use play sand, frequently raking it with a stick helps distribute oxygen within the substrate and reduces the chance of pockets forming.

Also, I noticed you were talking about cories... Isn't this supposed to be a saltwater area? (This question is in the wrong place.)

11. TexasDomer

It's an old thread, and yes, it appears to be misplaced.

And agreed, PFS and BDBS aren't as likely to create the anaerobic air pockets. I meant only that that PFS is light colored like play sand.

12. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Thread has been moved to Freshwater substrates

13. J

There are light colored blasting sands too, I believe.

14. TexasDomer

I don't have experience with those, only BDBS which is only black I believe.

15. J

I think there are silica-based blasting sands too, which are closer to the traditional "quartz" color.

16. Greenplant

Greenplant Well Known Member Member

Is 20/40 medium grade the right grain size.

17. TexasDomer

Feel it with your fingers if you can. As long as it's not sharp, it should be fine. Most people use very fine or fine grit, but I use medium myself.