Best Salt Mix for Zoanthids and Ricordea?

Fishproblem

Hey Fishlore! I've been planning a simple Caribbean reef setup, and am going to focus on Zoas and Ricordea. I've been doing my research, but all most places have to say on the salt matter seems to be "do what works for you". Great! Except I've never done it before

I know that these corals are about as idiot proof as corals get, but do any of you have good experience with them in any particular salt mix? I plan to use distilled water for mixing, and will be doing two huge water changes a week. Ideally I'll be using a mix that wont require me to dose anything. Is that possible?

Coradee

Bumping this up for you hope our salty members can help you today

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

Oh, Coradee a bump from you is better than any answer
I've done more reading and it seems like just about any commercially available salt will do, and the biggest differences are just down to personal preference and reefkeeping style. I think any of them will do the trick for my intended easy corals and frequent large water changes replacing micronutrients. We'll see! If I have to start dosing, or switch salt to something that suits my husbandry better, so be it!

That said, any anecdotal evidence of success would be warmly welcomed.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

In case anyone comes across this thread with a similar question (doubtful, probably, since it's SUCH a noob question). I ended up choosing Tropic Marin Pro, after having watched Bulk Reef Supply's 2019 best salt mix videos. The info was super enlightening, and led me to understand that it really is just up to personal preference. I chose Tropic Marin Pro for ease of mixing, lack of residue, and overall quality. But it's not any more specifically good for the corals I plan to grow than any others. My takeaway is that I could use just about any salt I want.

Upvote 0

fish 321

I mean salt is salt as you have figured out, Im pretty sure a large amount of people
use insant ocean as it is cheap and works as good as any other salt. Just a heads up if you don't already know be carefull with the zoas as they contain paly toxins.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

I mean salt is salt as you have figured out, Im pretty sure a large amount of people
use insant ocean as it is cheap and works as good as any other salt. Just a heads up if you don't already know be carefull with the zoas as they contain paly toxins.
It's true! I considered Instant Ocean, but part of the reason I chose Tropic Marin Pro is the small box availability (my partner and I live in a one bedroom with an unethically small amount of closet space), and the ease of mixing.

I do know about the palytoxins, but thanks for the reminder! I'll be sure have appropriate protection and take all the necessary precautions beofe i get them

Upvote 0

fish 321

It's true! I considered Instant Ocean, but part of the reason I chose Tropic Marin Pro is the small box availability (my partner and I live in a one bedroom with an unethically small amount of closet space), and the ease of mixing.

I do know about the palytoxins, but thanks for the reminder! I'll be sure have appropriate protection and take all the necessary precautions beofe i get them
You can get instant ocean in a small box too, they also have bags and buckets of salt. Zoas are really pretty but I decided to stay away from them since I didn't want to deal with all the protective gear and family friends have came over and their little girl got into my tank and, I didn't want to risk the chance of the zoas poisoning someone.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

You can get instant ocean in a small box too, they also have bags and buckets of salt. Zoas are really pretty but I decided to stay away from them since I didn't want to deal with all the protective gear and family friends have came over and their little girl got into my tank and, I didn't want to risk the chance of the zoas poisoning someone.
That's good to know! I hadn't seen smaller sizes online. If Tropic Marin doesn't do it for me I might just switch over to the cheap stuff!

Yeah, we're an adult only household without any pets that can hop up near the tank (which is high up on a dresser and unreachable by visting children, thank goodness), so pretty low risk for sabotage. I love the small polyp size for the tiny tank I'm setting up, so I'll just have to be super careful about them!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rcslade124
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views
PNWAquatics