Best remineralizer?

KingJamal2

Member
My parents are getting an RO system, but it’s one that works on the entire house. I know that I will have to remineralize the water, as RO water has nothing in it.

What is the best remineralizer for a freshwater tank? ( preferably an all in one)
 

Rcslade124

Member
Nilocg easy green aquatics both sell a gh booster. Pretty much what you need is a gh booster from anywhere to add back minerals
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
I have a 5 stage RO/DI system. I have used Seachem Equilibrium Seachem - Equilibrium for years. My plants do well with it. I buy it in the 8.8 LBS container.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
I have a 5 stage RO/DI system. I have used Seachem Equilibrium Seachem - Equilibrium for years. My plants do well with it. I buy it in the 8.8 LBS container.
Does it get expensive? Does it have all the necessary minerals?
 

AngryRainbow

Member
I bypass the alkalinity filter that came on the RO unit, so I start out with 0kh and 0gh. I use seachem equilibrium, alkaline buffer, and acid buffer and have been pleased with how my plants grow with it
 

Rcslade124

Member
6$ for 1 lb and you use a teaspoon with each water change I believe.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
I’ve decided that I will get the 8 pound barrel of equilibrium, along with a bottle of fresh trace.

I read that equilibrium restored nutrients needed for plants, while fresh trace restores nutrients needed for the fish.

does this sound right?
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
KingJamal2 said:
I’ve decided that I will get the 8 pound barrel of equilibrium, along with a bottle of fresh trace.

I read that equilibrium restored nutrients needed for plants, while fresh trace restores nutrients needed for the fish.

does this sound right?
I think it is a very good product. Would you like to see photos of some of my aquarium plants that are treated with the Seachem line?
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
I think it is a very good product. Would you like to see photos of some of my aquarium plants that are treated with the Seachem line?
Sure! I use prime and stability, and I absolutely love Seachem. All my products are Seachem except for my liquid fertilizer, because Seachem doesn’t have an all in one liquid fertilizer.
 

AngryRainbow

Member
KingJamal2 said:
I’ve decided that I will get the 8 pound barrel of equilibrium, along with a bottle of fresh trace.

I read that equilibrium restored nutrients needed for plants, while fresh trace restores nutrients needed for the fish.

does this sound right?
I personally don't use trace but everything seems to indicated it's mostly for plant growth.


Equilibrium only adjusts GH, you will need a method of increasing KH as well.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
AngryRainbow said:
I personally don't use trace but everything seems to indicated it's mostly for plant growth.


Equilibrium only adjusts GH, you will need a method of increasing KH as well.
Oh, right. I’ll throw some alkaline buffer in there too.

So does equilibrium, fresh trace, and alkaline buffer sound good?
 

AngryRainbow

Member
Yeah you'll be fine with alkaline buffer. I use acid buffer too because I go for a pH under 7, but that's not necessary for everyone
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
KingJamal2 said:
Oh, right. I’ll throw some alkaline buffer in there too.

So does equilibrium, fresh trace, and alkaline buffer sound good?
RO/DI water from a properly working system should read very close to pH 7.0 with a TDS of around 1 PPM. Why do you feel you need alkaline buffer?

Equilibrium also has goodies for the plants, so it does more than deal with hardness. As stated above I have used it for many years. I add nothing extra for hardness. but I do have 7 Seachem products I add for the plants as well.

If you do not have plants Seachem has a product that does not have the goodies in it for the plants that you can use instead. I have not used it as I am deeply into plants...sorta.....
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
RO/DI water from a properly working system should read very close to pH 7.0 with a TDS of around 1 PPM. Why do you feel you need alkaline buffer?

Equilibrium also has goodies for the plants, so it does more than deal with hardness. As stated above I have used it for many years. I add nothing extra for hardness. but I do have 7 Seachem products I add for the plants as well.

If you do not have plants Seachem has a product that does not have the goodies in it for the plants that you can use instead. I have not used it as I am deeply into plants...sorta.....
Well, won’t I have to replace KH lost in filtration?
 

AngryRainbow

Member
RO water has 0 kh. Without kh, the pH will be unstable.

Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
AngryRainbow said:
RO water has 0 kh. Without kh, the pH will be unstable.

Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)
Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there are some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.
 

AngryRainbow

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.
I'm not saying to mess with the pH. I'm saying that equilibrium only adjusts the GH, so a product that adjusts the KH is needed. I personally use seachems alkaline and acid buffer, which is why I recommended them above.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
AngryRainbow said:
RO water has 0 kh. Without kh, the pH will be unstable.

Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)
Yeah, that’s the article I read
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
AngryRainbow said:
I'm not saying to mess with the pH. I'm saying that equilibrium only adjusts the GH, so a product that adjusts the KH is needed. I personally use seachems alkaline and acid buffer, which is why I recommended them above.
I am holding the container as I type this. It specially addresses the KH in the recommended doses.

If you are changing the water with acid buffer are you not changing the pH?

But in the end it does not matter. People need to stick with what works for them. There are far too many variables to speak in absolutes.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there are some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.
I don’t mess with ph either, my tap water has a ph of 8.2 and I’ve never tried to lower it. My fish do fine.

Without kh, game
Thunder_o_b said:
I am holding the container as I type this. It specially addresses the KH in the recommended doses.

If you are changing the water with acid buffer are you not changing the pH?

But in the end it does not matter. People need to stick with what works for them. There are far too many variables to speak in absolutes.
what product do you use?
 

AngryRainbow

Member
Are you using seachem equilibrium? It literally says on the container in directions " to raise mineral content/general hardness (GH) ..... To maintain kh, we recommend alkaline buffer". And the first thing on their webpage says "Restores and maintains mineral balance and GH"

Seachem - Equilibrium
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
KingJamal2

Some of my plants.

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.


8.
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
KingJamal2

Some of my plants.

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.


8.
What remineralizer do you use?

those are some gorgeous tanks by the way.
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
AngryRainbow said:
Are you using seachem equilibrium? It literally says on the container in directions " to raise mineral content/general hardness (GH) ..... To maintain kh, we recommend alkaline buffer". And the first thing on their webpage says "Restores and maintains mineral balance and GH"

Seachem - Equilibrium
It is possible that I am misinterpreting what I am reading (don't claI'm to be overly smart, just stunningly good looking)

Be that as it may, I for years have only used the product for remineralizing the RO/DI water and the plants and fish thrive with no issues with pH.

KingJamal2 said:
What remineralizer do you use?

those are some gorgeous tanks by the way.
Thank you

I use Seachem equilibrium. Then 6 other Seachem products for the plants. There are those on this forum that decry Seachem but it works for me
 

AngryRainbow

Member
No one's arguing that your tanks aren't obviously thriving, but perhaps one of the other products you use or the substrate or something is buffering the KH in your tanks.

But for the typical RO water usage, it's always recommended to buffer the kh
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
AngryRainbow said:
No one's arguing that your tanks aren't obviously thriving, but perhaps one of the other products you use or the substrate or something is buffering the KH in your tanks.

But for the typical RO water usage, it's always recommended to buffer the kh
Alright, I’ll use equilibrium, fresh trace, and alkaline buffet
 

mattgirl

Member
I also recommend Seachem Equilibrium. I was having no luck at all with plants. Even adding Thrive liquid and root caps my plants struggled in my very soft water. Once I started using Equilibrium my plant growth exploded. It seems it adds all the minerals missing from my tap water. I add enough to bring the TDS reading of 21 in my tap water up to about 100.
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
AngryRainbow said:
No one's arguing that your tanks aren't obviously thriving, but perhaps one of the other products you use or the substrate or something is buffering the KH in your tanks.

But for the typical RO water usage, it's always recommended to buffer the kh
Possibly. In most of the aquariums I use black diamond blasting sand. In the others I use pool filter sand. I use a lot of quartz crystal and MopanI hardwood.

Your thoughts?
 
  • Thread Starter

KingJamal2

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
Possibly. In most of the aquariums I use black diamond blasting sand. In the others I use pool filter sand. I use a lot of quartz crystal and MopanI hardwood.

Your thoughts?
Is black crystal blasting sand black? I’m looking for a cheap black sand for my 40 gallon tank. I don’t want to spend 100 dollars on black sand
 

AngryRainbow

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
Possibly. In most of the aquariums I use black diamond blasting sand. In the others I use pool filter sand. I use a lot of quartz crystal and MopanI hardwood.

Your thoughts?
I'm not sure, have you tested your tanks kh to see where they stay around?
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
KingJamal2 said:
Is black crystal blasting sand black? I’m looking for a cheap black sand for my 40 gallon tank. I don’t want to spend 100 dollars on black sand
Take a look at the photos. It is very close to jet black. If you have a tractor supply company near you, you can get 50 pounds for around $8.00 I use the med-fine grit.


AngryRainbow said:
I'm not sure, have you tested your tanks kh to see where they stay around?
To be perfectly honest I stopped testing a year after I installed my RO/DI unit as the readings never changed. I put the unit in around 5 years ago. The link is the build for the water storage.
I Finally Got Around To Doing A Writeup On My System. | Reverse Osmosis - Deionization 367737
 

Bob_STL

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
If you do not have plants Seachem has a product that does not have the goodies in it for the plants that you can use instead. I have not used it as I am deeply into plants...sorta.....
Is the Seachem product for Non_planted tanks called "Replenish" ??
I've been doing water changes with RO water for about 3 weeks. My water chemistries are much improved - my Tap water is pH about 8.4 and Nitrates about 20 ppm
However, I was NOT aware I need to remineralize !

Thank you All (Especially "Thunder_o_b") for you our advice & wisdom !!
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
Bob_STL said:
Is the Seachem product for Non_planted tanks called "Replenish" ??
I've been doing water changes with RO water for about 3 weeks. My water chemistries are much improved - my Tap water is pH about 8.4 and Nitrates about 20 ppm
However, I was NOT aware I need to remineralize !

Thank you All (Especially "Thunder_o_b") for you our advice & wisdom !!
Replenish I believe is the product. Seachem - Replenish

Are you buying your RO water or do you have a system?

The minerals are needed to stabilize the pH. I learned the hard way many years ago when the water suppler sold me RO water instead of mineral water. I lost an entire aquarium over night when the pH crashed.
 

Bob_STL

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
Replenish I believe is the product. Seachem - Replenish

Are you buying your RO water or do you have a system?

The minerals are needed to stabilize the pH. I learned the hard way many years ago when the water suppler sold me RO water instead of mineral water. I lost an entire aquarium over night when the pH crashed.
I'm buying my RO water which is processed on-site at my local grocery chain store ( Schnuck's / St Louis). Because it is still local water, the pH is still similar to my tap water (pH=8.4) - so I add a little "Seachem pH Down" to get water very close to 7. The primary reason I started using the RO water was due to high nitrates in my Tap water so I was finding my weekly water changes to be very ineffective.

Would you recommend Replenish or Equilibrium for my Non Planted 20 gallon ? My understanding is Replenish has only GH elements and Does Not have KH Buffer minerals ( to control pH spikes), whereas Equilibrium has both GH as well as KH (buffering) ? It seems to me Equilibrium would be a more suitable for BOTH planted and NonPlanted Tanks, due to buffer additives, but Seachem must make Both products for a some good reason ?

Since my original post here I've read other Forum posts from 2016 to 2019, and some of them A) speak highly of Equilibrium for Planted tanks, and B) Replenish for non-planted tanks. Overall, I still seems to me the Equilibrium is needed for the KH buffering - and therefore Equilibrium would be most useful in both Non Planted and Planted.

Thank you so much for your advice & wisdom !
 

AngryRainbow

Member
Bob_STL said:
I'm buying my RO water which is processed on-site at my local grocery chain store ( Schnuck's / St Louis). Because it is still local water, the pH is still similar to my tap water (pH=8.4) - so I add a little "Seachem pH Down" to get water very close to 7. The primary reason I started using the RO water was due to high nitrates in my Tap water so I was finding my weekly water changes to be very ineffective.

Would you recommend Replenish or Equilibrium for my Non Planted 20 gallon ? My understanding is Replenish has only GH elements and Does Not have KH Buffer minerals ( to control pH spikes), whereas Equilibrium has both GH as well as KH (buffering) ? It seems to me Equilibrium would be a more suitable for BOTH planted and NonPlanted Tanks, due to buffer additives, but Seachem must make Both products for a some good reason ?

Since my original post here I've read other Forum posts from 2016 to 2019, and some of them A) speak highly of Equilibrium for Planted tanks, and B) Replenish for non-planted tanks. Overall, I still seems to me the Equilibrium is needed for the KH buffering - and therefore Equilibrium would be most useful in both Non Planted and Planted.

Thank you so much for your advice & wisdom !
Equilibrium does not buffer kh at all. I use ro water, and I test my water then add equilibrium first. I then test my GH and kh levels to see where I'm at and kh doesn't budge. Seachem also doesn't claI'm that equilibrium buffers kh. The products they sell for kh is alkaline and acid buffer. If you are going for a pH between 7 and 8 then only alkaline buffer is needed. Acid buffer can be used to fine tune pH closer to or below 7, but for most aquariums that is not needed.

Also I could be wrong, but true ro water really shouldn't have a pH of 8.4, unless it's already remineralized to some degree. Bob_STL do you know what the TDS, GH and kh values of the ro water you buy are?
 

Bob_STL

Member
AngryRainbow said:
Also I could be wrong, but true ro water really shouldn't have a pH of 8.4, unless it's already remineralized to some degree. Bob_STL do you know what the TDS, GH and kh values of the ro water you buy are?
The TDS is about 20.
pH 8+, measured by Master Test kit & same pH result via 2 types of Test Strips ( API + Tetra). AND this pH is measured after letting water sit for 24+ hours. With RO water, I Too, would expect at or close to 7.0 - I'm puzzled by the high pH level; when I purchased other branded RO water in 1 gallon jugs it tested close to 7. However, the RO water I'm currently using is made "on-site" and I can carry away in my 5 gallon Bottles; it's a lot cheaper, a closer store and more eco-friendly to reuse my 5 gallon bottle and not have to waste a bunch of gallon jugs each time.

As for GH + KH, I don't know values but TONIGHT I'm Buying
  • GH / KH test kit tonight, because I now realize this needs to monitored as well.
  • Seachem Replenish (as I do Not have a planted tank so won't buy Equilibrium)
  • Alkaline Buffer
My Plan for tonight's (Monday) 25% Water Change, I'm going to use 60% RO Water +plus+ 40% Tap water. I need to get my Nitrates lower
I'm hoping by Wednesday to 1) receive the above products 2) learn more about GH / KH goals and 3) develop plan

Thank you for all help - so generous, and I am so thankful !!
 

Inner10

Member
I've been using Seachem Replenish and Alkaline Buffer, I have a planted tank and I know Seachem recommends Equilibrium for such a thing, but I haven't seen any ill effect.
 

Bob_STL

Member
Guys –
Here’s an Overdue Update of my experiences with RO water, which is made “onsite” at my local Grocery store’s and their RO machine. To review; I’m using the RO water due to tap water which has high Nitrates (20 ppm) and also has high pH of 8.4. In previous posts here I shared that pH of this RO water was also elevated to pH=8+ so I was using “pH Down” before doing water changes. Previously I did not have KH or GH test kits.

Recently I purchased another 5 gallons of this RO water and also KH / GH kits. Test Results were:
Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 0 ppm
KH = 1 drop
GH = I drop
TDS = 10
pH = 7.8 – 8.0 ……I was still puzzled by this high pH !!!!

Other posts/threads on this forum suggested “letting RO water sit for 24 hours to gas out” and would reduce pH. I let water sit in bucket for 24+ hours and NO or Minimal change in pH….. still 7.8-8.0

Yet other posts / threads suggested “running bubbler in RO Water bucket for 24 hours….”
So, I very vigorously Bubbled for 24 hours - and viola - MAGIC !!
Now pH = 7.0 !!

I’m pleased with the result – now have great water. Since using RO water, my tank clarity has never been better and tank chemistries are great. I also started using Seachem Replenish for essential minerals as well as Alkaline Buffer to help boost KH levels.

Thanks again to all experts here on forum – a truly awesome community !!
 

kered

Member
RO water does no really gas out, more like gas in, it will absorbe CO2 and bring down the ph.
 

Inner10

Member
kered said:
RO water does no really gas out, more like gas in, it will absorbe CO2 and bring down the ph.
RODI wouldn't, RO could absolutely.
 

Drewbacca

Member
Inner10 said:
RODI wouldn't, RO could absolutely.
I use RO/DI water and after leaving out and bubbling for 24 hours, my pH remains the same as the tap... 7.8. Luckily that pH is ok for my cherry shrimp, snails, and Endlers.

I use SaltyShrimp GH/KH+ to a TDH of 200.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom