Best remineralizer?

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My parents are getting an RO system, but it’s one that works on the entire house. I know that I will have to remineralize the water, as RO water has nothing in it.

What is the best remineralizer for a freshwater tank? ( preferably an all in one)

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nilocg easy green aquatics both sell a gh booster. Pretty much what you need is a gh booster from anywhere to add back minerals

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I have a 5 stage RO/DI system. I have used Seachem Equilibrium Seachem - Equilibrium for years. My plants do well with it. I buy it in the 8.8 LBS container.
Does it get expensive? Does it have all the necessary minerals?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I bypass the alkalinity filter that came on the RO unit, so I start out with 0kh and 0gh. I use seachem equilibrium, alkaline buffer, and acid buffer and have been pleased with how my plants grow with it

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve decided that I will get the 8 pound barrel of equilibrium, along with a bottle of fresh trace.

I read that equilibrium restored nutrients needed for plants, while fresh trace restores nutrients needed for the fish.

does this sound right?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingJamal2 said:
I’ve decided that I will get the 8 pound barrel of equilibrium, along with a bottle of fresh trace.

I read that equilibrium restored nutrients needed for plants, while fresh trace restores nutrients needed for the fish.

does this sound right?
I think it is a very good product. Would you like to see photos of some of my aquarium plants that are treated with the Seachem line?

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I think it is a very good product. Would you like to see photos of some of my aquarium plants that are treated with the Seachem line?
Sure! I use prime and stability, and I absolutely love Seachem. All my products are Seachem except for my liquid fertilizer, because Seachem doesn’t have an all in one liquid fertilizer.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
KingJamal2 said:

does this sound right?
I personally don't use trace but everything seems to indicated it's mostly for plant growth.

Equilibrium only adjusts GH, you will need a method of increasing KH as well.

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AngryRainbow said:
I personally don't use trace but everything seems to indicated it's mostly for plant growth.

Equilibrium only adjusts GH, you will need a method of increasing KH as well.
Oh, right. I’ll throw some alkaline buffer in there too.

So does equilibrium, fresh trace, and alkaline buffer sound good?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingJamal2 said:
Oh, right. I’ll throw some alkaline buffer in there too.

So does equilibrium, fresh trace, and alkaline buffer sound good?
RO/DI water from a properly working system should read very close to pH 7.0 with a TDS of around 1 PPM. Why do you feel you need alkaline buffer?

Equilibrium also has goodies for the plants, so it does more than deal with hardness. As stated above I have used it for many years. I add nothing extra for hardness. but I do have 7 Seachem products I add for the plants as well.

If you do not have plants Seachem has a product that does not have the goodies in it for the plants that you can use instead. I have not used it as I am deeply into plants...sorta.....

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
RO/DI water from a properly working system should read very close to pH 7.0 with a TDS of around 1 PPM. Why do you feel you need alkaline buffer?

Equilibrium also has goodies for the plants, so it does more than deal with hardness. As stated above I have used it for many years. I add nothing extra for hardness. but I do have 7 Seachem products I add for the plants as well.

If you do not have plants Seachem has a product that does not have the goodies in it for the plants that you can use instead. I have not used it as I am deeply into plants...sorta.....
Well, won’t I have to replace KH lost in filtration?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
RO water has 0 kh. Without kh, the pH will be unstable.

Beginners guide to aquarium carbonate hardness (KH)

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AngryRainbow said:

Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there are some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Thunder_o_b said:
Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.
I'm not saying to mess with the pH. I'm saying that equilibrium only adjusts the GH, so a product that adjusts the KH is needed. I personally use seachems alkaline and acid buffer, which is why I recommended them above.

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AngryRainbow said:

Yeah, that’s the article I read

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AngryRainbow said:
I'm not saying to mess with the pH. I'm saying that equilibrium only adjusts the GH, so a product that adjusts the KH is needed. I personally use seachems alkaline and acid buffer, which is why I recommended them above.
I am holding the container as I type this. It specially addresses the KH in the recommended doses.

If you are changing the water with acid buffer are you not changing the pH?

But in the end it does not matter. People need to stick with what works for them. There are far too many variables to speak in absolutes.

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Agreed, that is why I use the product it does deal with KH. The info is on the the container so I am not going to reprint it here. I have never found the need for other products for the KH. pH stays stable and the plants and fish thrive. I am an advocate of not messing with the pH when it is stable. I will grant that there are some specialized fish that have exacting pH on the hI and low ends but for the vast majority of fish keepers 7.0 is a good place to be.
I don’t mess with ph either, my tap water has a ph of 8.2 and I’ve never tried to lower it. My fish do fine.

Without kh, game
Thunder_o_b said:
I am holding the container as I type this. It specially addresses the KH in the recommended doses.

If you are changing the water with acid buffer are you not changing the pH?

But in the end it does not matter. People need to stick with what works for them. There are far too many variables to speak in absolutes.
what product do you use?

New Threads