Best Products For Keeping Nitrate/nitrite, Ammonia, Ph Levels Down?

1. Cheesearmada Member Member

For a while I've just used topFin products but I would like to know if there's something else that may be better.
  2. toolman Well Known Member Member

Seachem's products are very good, would not try adjusting pH with chemicals because they can lead to very dangerous pH swings.

3. Cherie G Member Member

Welcome to fish lore!

I am fairly new to the hobby but I have found that the best way to keep my aquarium levels where they need to be is doing weekly partial water changes (30% or so), take care to not over feed fish and not over stocking the tank. I also test my water once a week with the API master kit to verify everything is as it should be. I have not used any products for controlling ammonia, nitrites and nitrates but think you might end up chasing your tail and having levels fluctuate alot which would probably be stressful to your fish by using them instead of naturally with routine water changes. I have heard that it is best to manage water quality without the use of chemicals as much as possible. Not sure about emergency situations as I have not run into that yet. Hope this is helpful.
  4. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Is there a reason why you need products to handle these? An established cycle will be your friend in breaking down that ammonia and nitrite, leaving nitrate for you to clean out with WC. If its too high, plants are really natural way to combat. Is your tank not cycled?

And as for ph, I would not mess with it unless you have to; the products run out quickly and you lose the buffering/debuffering after a short while causing the ph swings

5. littlebluesonofafish Initiate Member

6. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! If you have Ammonia, Nitrites, & Nitrates in your tap water, this would be the only reason I would add any product to alter my chemistries. If you have a low pH in your tap, I would add a buffer to raise it.

If you have a cycled tank your Ammonia and nitrites will be at 0. Can't get any lower than that. Nitrates are a normal part of tank maintenance and can be managed with weekly water changes. No need for a nitrate lowering product when elbow grease works the best. As long as your pH is anywhere between 7.0 - 8.4 you don't need to alter it at all.
  7. Cheesearmada Member Member

Alright thanks everyone. So I have been doing 30-50% water changes almost every week, and my tank is cycled. I was just wondering in case I should ever need an emergency solution.

8. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

My emergency solution always comes from the tap. I've been running 50 tanks for many years, and have never bought an anti-ammonia or anti-nitrate product. My tapwater comes out with no ammonia, so I am good with with one solution - H2O.
  9. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

The one product I do recommend is Seachem Prime. It works well in emergencies, but it is also very effective with weekly tank maintenance. It is a dechlorinator, so can be used with water changes every week. Then it also will detoxify ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates up to 1ppm in an emergency. It works for 24-48 hours. It is great for when you may have issues with your cycle out of the blue. Along with water changes, it can protect your fish in the short term.