Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Best Product To Use To Cycle Large Aquariums? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Lucyn, Dec 30, 2018.

1. LucynValued MemberMember

So I've cycled plenty of tanks, no bigger than 55 gallons though. I was wondering, what is the best product/method for tanks around 125 gallons or larger? I'm starting a big tank project soon and would like to know your guys personal preferences/experiences with products used, thank you! Also, should I add plants after the tank is cycled or before?

2. Prest12Valued MemberMember

Just take some filter media from your other tanks. It won’t matter if the new tank is a lot bigger because you won’t be stocking it all at once anyway.

3. LucynValued MemberMember

I was thinking of that, but wouldn't that cause some sort of minor spike or worst case scenario a mini cycle in the original aquarium?

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Plants can be added at any time. Cycling a tank works exactly the same way weather the tank is 5 gallon or 300 gallon. Cycled media would be the quickest way. Tetra safe start plus comes highly recommended. I usually just wait it out with a fish or 2 in the tank doing a fish in and watching my levels.

5. LucynValued MemberMember

Okay so I have a aquaclear 70 in my 10 gallon QT, once I have no fish in QT could I put that on the 125, along with the new filter and wait about a month or two? I can't seed it because fx4's/6's don't have much spare space inside. Or maybe hook up the Aquaclear 70 on the 55 for the time being until I get the 125 up and running?

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

If you move the 70 over to the new tank you could add almost the bio load of the 10 gallon right to the tank. Or you could just use the sponge out of the 70 and put it in the new filter. With moving the whole filter over with running next to the new one it could removed after a month.

7. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I haven’t cycled a tank since my second tank, I now have 12. Take a little bit of media from a few tanks, you will not cause a mini cycle unless you took like most of the media. I run ceramic/matrix media in all my filters for this reason.

8. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

This is what sponge filters are for! Buy or make a couple of large sponge filters, and get them running now in your other tanks. When your new big tank is ready, move those already-cycled sponges into it and run it that way until the permanent filtration you decide upon is cycled. I always have a few extra sponge filters bubbling away in established tanks for this purpose.

9. LucynValued MemberMember

What I'm thinking about doing is just having the Aquaclear 70 run along side my filter in my 55 until I get the 125 setup, then put the 70 into the 125 gallon, along with whatever filter I get for that (probably a fx4).

10. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

As long as the time it takes to complete the new tank is sufficient for the 70 to mature in the established tank, that sounds like a great plan...say about 3 or 4 weeks.

11. LucynValued MemberMember

Well it’s already in a tank with about 12 inches of fish, so it’s cycled and pretty broken in. It’s actually the old filter of my 55 (for almost a half a year) that I just use as a QT filter. I’m thinking the 55 will just sustain and further produce more BB in the future for the 125. Not saying I’m gonna throw a million fish in the 125 at first, I’m gonna start slow of course, but you can never be too careful, right? :)

12. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You don't have to seed the filter necessarily. Just gravel, lava rock or other porous substrate can be transplanted into the new tank from a well cycled tank.