How Do I Best Practices For Keeping Female Bettas Together?

SweetClover

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few months ago I got a baby betta that was supposed to be a male. I thought I saw an egg spot, but went with it.

Well, Pheonix is still a girl. XD I have her in a 10 gallon with a nerite. I was wondering if I could keep any more females with her, or would I need a bigger tank?

I've read differing opinions and so I wanted to see what the consensus here was.

Thanks!

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're doing a sorority tank, then you're going to need a large aquarium. A 30 should be the minimum. As for scaping, you're going to need to heavily plant the aquarium or provide multiple hiding places, not just one or two decorations. Lastly, try to get females that have a mellow personality as there are some females that can be as aggressive as the males.

SweetClover

Reaction score
If you're doing a sorority tank, then you're going to need a large aquarium. A 30 should be the minimum. As for scaping, you're going to need to heavily plant the aquarium or provide multiple hiding places, not just one or two decorations. Lastly, try to get females that have a mellow personality as there are some females that can be as aggressive as the males.
Ah gotcha, so there'd need to be significantly more space. Unfortunately I don't have room for a 30gal at the moment so I guess that's out for now!

Are females just as happy as males on their own or do they have a need to school?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha, so there'd need to be significantly more space. Unfortunately I don't have room for a 30gal at the moment so I guess that's out for now!

Are females just as happy as males on their own or do they have a need to school?
Females can do fine by themselves as they don't need to be in a group. Sororities can be a hit-or-miss, though. Sometimes a sorority can be successful and often times a disaster occur.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom