Best Powerhead Positioning And Direction?

Nickguy5467

IMG_20190306_164224.jpg as you can see, mine is in the top left in the middle area running straight. I turned the flow down so that my fish wouldnt be pushed into the other side of the tank's glass. what are you thoughts on where I should put the powerhead for better circulation in my tank? and full flow, slight flow etc. ?

ps: just thought of this while looking at the posted photo, but should I invest in filters that can reach the bottom of the tank area? or is it fine the way it is?

DuaneV

I wouldnt even use a powerhead in that tank. The only tanks I have one in are my long tanks set up as stream biotopes.

And yeah, with two filters like that, Id have an extension on one so it was near the bottom.

Nickguy5467

I wouldnt even use a powerhead in that tank. The only tanks I have one in are my long tanks set up as stream biotopes.

And yeah, with two filters like that, Id have an extension on one so it was near the bottom.
unfortunately those are extended all the way. are the extensions you mention something I can buy at petco or something?

edit: just tried googling but for my quiet flow models I'm only finding replacement parts

nikm128

Islandvic or Cichlidude would you happen to have a DIY intake extension?

Islandvic

Is this what your intake tube looks like when it is removed?

Screenshot_20190306-222022_Chrome.jpg

Probably will have to take the intake tube off the filter, and go down to the local hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes and look at their vinyl tubing.

I think they have spools of assorted sized ID's (inner diameter) tubing that you can buy by the foot.

Find whatever size vinyl hose will fit into the barb end of the the intake tube.

Then buy yourself a few feet of it and you might need a roll of some cheap teflon tape.

You will have to cut your intake pipe in half, right at the halfway point of the barbed section.

You can use a length of vinyl hose to connect the 2 barbed pieces together.

Now you have a longer intake tube that can be inserted back on to your HOB.

You may have to use the teflon tape and wrap it around the barbed ends so the hose fits snug.

You can play around with different length sections of vinyl tubing when you get home, to figure out exactly how far down you want the intakes to go.

Cichlidude

Agree with Islandvic above. May have to take the filter in too to get if fitted on it's end for the tubing. If it's a close fit, just put the tubing end in boiling water so soften it up and now you can get it over the fitting. If too small, a stainless steel super small hose clamp will work. You can paint that black to match if you want, just let dry for 48 hours. I agree I don't think you need a powerhead.

Oh, and don't forget to add a sponge filter to the intake of both those filters.

Nickguy5467

Is this what your intake tube looks like when it is removed?

Screenshot_20190306-222022_Chrome.jpg

Probably will have to take the intake tube off the filter, and go down to the local hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes and look at their vinyl tubing.

I think they have spools of assorted sized ID's (inner diameter) tubing that you can buy by the foot.

Find whatever size vinyl hose will fit into the barb end of the the intake tube.

Then buy yourself a few feet of it and you might need a roll of some cheap teflon tape.

You will have to cut your intake pipe in half, right at the halfway point of the barbed section.

You can use a length of vinyl hose to connect the 2 barbed pieces together.

Now you have a longer intake tube that can be inserted back on to your HOB.

You may have to use the teflon tape and wrap it around the barbed ends so the hose fits snug.

You can play around with different length sections of vinyl tubing when you get home, to figure out exactly how far down you want the intakes to go.
yes that is it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ToucanSam54
Replies
Views
SaltyPhone
Replies
Views
Punkin
Replies