Best power gravel vac?

JCM

HI I'm looking for a good power gravel vac. Atm I have a manual syphon style vac but want to make life easier. Any suggestions would be brill.

MacZ

If you don't want to use systems like the python or the JBL system (both will cost you a fortune in water bills) you should look into pumps that can be set between pieces of pipe/hose.

MacZ

lots of plants and a horde of amano shrimp no need to vacuum much at all

What if the OP has Mbuna or other big herbivores?

Otherwise cories and a layer of leaflitter on sand substrate also make vacuuming unnecessary.

KinderScout

What if the OP has Mbuna or other big herbivores?

Otherwise cories and a layer of leaflitter on sand substrate also make vacuuming unnecessary.
Nearest thing listed in the op's profile is a bn pleco. We can't feed our cories minI wafers cos the shrimp steal 'em.
We did buy a battery powered vac early on - before the shrimp - it passed the water through a net back into the tank. We replaced the net with a folded polypad held on with a rubber 'o' ring and it worked ok for a while - we stopped using it 'cos it was awkward to use with sand.
Aquarium Gravel Battery Fish Tank Vacuum Siphon Syphon Cleaner Filter Pump

itsEmma

Hi,
They get extremely mixed reviews, but personally, I love my Marina 3 in 1 Gravel Cleaner

Marina 3-in-1 Aquarium Gravel Cleaner, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I only use the little bag attachment, the water, poop ect get sucked up and through the bag with the poop all getting trapped there.

I believe that you can also attach a hose to siphon the water out, but that seems a bit of a waste of battery power to me.

I like the fact that you can vacuum without half emptying the tank, especially useful with smaller tanks.

Hope this helps!

Emma

Just seen what KinderScout wrote, they're pretty similar products and it's funny because I also use a bit of filter floss attached with an elastic band for my mid-week vacuum when I can't be bothered to wash out the bag! The bit of floss/poop attached, can just be thrown away.
I actually find that the Marina one is fine with sand, maybe it's less powerful?

jmaldo

I purchased the Eheim Gravel Vac. for my Discus tank. It works fine, barebottom or sand/gravel. Invest in re-chargeable batteries and your "Good" to go.

Amazon.com : EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge Extractor- PetOverstock : Aquarium Gravel Cleaners : Pet Supplies

itsEmma

I purchased the Eheim Gravel Vac. for my Discus tank. It works fine, barebottom or sand/gravel. Invest in re-chargeable batteries and your "Good" to go.

Amazon.com : EHEIM Quick Vac Pro Automatic Gravel Cleaner and Sludge Extractor- PetOverstock : Aquarium Gravel Cleaners : Pet Supplies
I agree regarding the rechargeable batteries! They do seem to be quite heavy on battery consumption according to the reviews, but with the rechargeable ones, you don't need to worry about that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nanettefox4
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisharewet
  • Question
Replies
Views
SallImSayin