Best plants to fill space

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all! I was wondering what you guys think the best plants to fill up some space and provide more cover in a 10 gallon are. Thanks!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like crypts. While they may be slow to become established, once they are they really take off and send up runners all over the tank. I have 3 10gals with mainly crypts and a couple anubias, they look great IMO.

If you have higher lighting then I'd try Rotala, it's bushy and does well for the back and border of a tank. Just be sure to provide liquid ferts.

And if you really want a jungle, get some jungle val. I have a 20 and 29gal that were not supposed to be planted tanks. After tossing in a couple extra vals they are completely overtaken by them. Oops :p

OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
I like crypts. While they may be slow to become established, once they are they really take off and send up runners all over the tank. I have 3 10gals with mainly crypts and a couple anubias, they look great IMO.

If you have higher lighting then I'd try Rotala, it's bushy and does well for the back and border of a tank. Just be sure to provide liquid ferts.

And if you really want a jungle, get some jungle val. I have a 20 and 29gal that were not supposed to be planted tanks. After tossing in a couple extra vals they are completely overtaken by them. Oops :p
Ok. Cool. Could I do vals in a 10 gal if I trim them a ton?

Sauceboat

Reaction score
I like Java Fern and Swords, they’re supposed to be slow growers but in my experience they’ll grow pretty fast. I got my java fern in maybe May and it has since doubled in size, I got my rossette sword (one of the slower growing swords) in February and it has gone from 5 leaves to well over 20. They look nice and are really low maintenance and can get pretty big which makes them great fillers.

AcornTheBetta said:
Ok. Cool. Could I do vals in a 10 gal if I trim them a ton?
Yup, as long as you have a good substrate. I think there also may be a shorter val out there that isn’t jungle val. That might be something to look into

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
IMG_20200710_014751.jpg
This is what anacharis looks like if I leave it in there for 3 weeks, does nothing but fill up space. Vals take several months to completely fill a tank.

OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wishuponafish said:
This is what anacharis looks like if I leave it in there for 3 weeks, does nothing but fill up space. Vals take several months to completely fill a tank.
Cool

Can anacharis, anubias, vals, and java fern survive if there are surface plants?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wishuponafish said:
Vals take several months to completely fill a tank.
Vals, if they like the setup, will overrun a tank in weeks IME. Not sure what the down vote was for, I find them to be incredibly fast growers that I have to thin out nearly every week. One plant becomes 6 within 2 weeks and then it just exponentially increases from there.

As for surface plants, if they are not growing too thick then you should be alright. Floaters tend to spread quickly and before you know it you have a nice shady tank. Fish seem to love that but the plants below might not appreciate it as much. I try to keep my frogbit on one half of the tank but even though they grow thick and shade that area my anubias and vals keep going strong. I’ve really let the vals go wild in these tanks!
AE7C3867-96CC-4C83-AFAD-4DDA1B4679A8.jpeg
8BA01D18-1065-45B8-B778-1C6A535ED9FD.jpeg
D0EC50DC-990D-4500-A149-521E1F0CD6EE.jpeg

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most stenp plants are goid for filling space because they become many plants from one. Im planning on gettingsome hydrocotyle japan to fill small gaps, especially gaps between leaves in other plants like anubias and java fern to get a fuller look

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What about something like Crypt Balansae? Gives you look of Vals (ish... the long and flowing grassy leaves) with the slow growth of crypts. If you let it take over the tank, it's cause you wanted it to.

OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
Vals, if they like the setup, will overrun a tank in weeks IME. Not sure what the down vote was for, I find them to be incredibly fast growers that I have to thin out nearly every week. One plant becomes 6 within 2 weeks and then it just exponentially increases from there.

As for surface plants, if they are not growing too thick then you should be alright. Floaters tend to spread quickly and before you know it you have a nice shady tank. Fish seem to love that but the plants below might not appreciate it as much. I try to keep my frogbit on one half of the tank but even though they grow thick and shade that area my anubias and vals keep going strong. I’ve really let the vals go wild in these tanks!
AE7C3867-96CC-4C83-AFAD-4DDA1B4679A8.jpeg
8BA01D18-1065-45B8-B778-1C6A535ED9FD.jpeg
D0EC50DC-990D-4500-A149-521E1F0CD6EE.jpeg
I'm going to build some little things to limit where the floaters spread and I'll try to make it about half the tank so the anubias gets light.

New Threads