Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter will best to comment on how long the nutrients stay in Eco-Complete, but IMO, there's no need to add substrate fert's while the substrate is still providing minerals etc.

As for root tabs - Seachem Flourish tabs and API root tabs are good.

If Nutter doesn't chime in, send him a pm

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
API tablets for very heavy feeding Swords. They have high levels of NPK + Iron but nothing else. They need to be replaced monthly. Flourish Tablets for everything else. They contain all the macro & micro nutrients & only need replacing every 3 months.

How many & what type of plants you have will decide when you need to start topping up the Eco-Complete but generally I would recommend adding substrate ferts after about 3 months.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just ordered Flourish Tablets. I don't plan on using any extra fertilizer long term. Just need it at the beginning for the plants to recover from shipping and grow into good shape. I also ordered HC, going to make a carpet to fill all the substrate. Hopefully it will fill as soon as possible, that's why I am thinking about extra "help" for the plants lol. Once everything gets to the way I want, I don't want extra fast growth.

I also ordered Flourish Excel, it claims to be a substitute for CO2. Does anyone have good experience with it?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Vash,
If you're not already following it, Nate's got HC in his 40 gallon, which you might be interested in. ()

Re Flourish Excel, yes I have used it with success, as I'm sure Nutter, Nate and others have too. The biggest consideration is the ongoing cost of Excel vs diy CO2.

You will need to find the balance between CO2, Ferts and Lighting to enable the best plant growth in your setup. Once you've got it sorted, you should enjoy great plant growth and happy plants and fish. It's a bit of trial and error, which probably needs a bit of patience. It'll take around a week for any change to be really noticeable (IME).

R

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen info from folks at EcoComplete saying that fertilizers should be added after about a year.
Originally, they said that the EcoComplete should be completely changed out every year, but they have since realized how wrong that is.
This has worked well for me.
Hemianthus Callitrichoides, however, is a very fast-growing plant, and could very well sap the nutrients from the soil much more quickly.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Excel doesn't agree with some plants, like mosses, some crypts and some vals. I've never used it, I go the DIY CO2 route.

Fertilizers aren't to make plants grow faster, they're to give the plants the nutrients they need. Without those, the plants will suffer. I just happen to have this link open in another window and it's very informative: https://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/nutrient-deficiency.html

I use Flourish tabs and they're ridiculously cheap at Petsmart, even compared to Amazon.

DIY CO2 is fairly easy, especially for you to set up right now since you have no fish to protect from pH swings. We'll be happy to help guide you through it.

Oh, and Flourish Comprehensive and tabs are invert safe, the amount of copper is not enough to harm them. There's a good article on shrimp and ferts over at planet inverts.

-Lisa

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
Excel doesn't agree with some plants, like mosses, some crypts and some vals. I've never used it, I go the DIY CO2 route.

Fertilizers aren't to make plants grow faster, they're to give the plants the nutrients they need. Without those, the plants will suffer. I just happen to have this link open in another window and it's very informative: https://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/nutrient-deficiency.html

I use Flourish tabs and they're ridiculously cheap at Petsmart, even compared to Amazon.

DIY CO2 is fairly easy, especially for you to set up right now since you have no fish to protect from pH swings. We'll be happy to help guide you through it.

Oh, and Flourish Comprehensive and tabs are invert safe, the amount of copper is not enough to harm them. There's a good article on shrimp and ferts over at planet inverts.

-Lisa
Are you saying I shouldn't use Excel when I have Java Moss and HC?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html said:
Q: I've been using Flourish Excel for the 4 days, and I've noticed that my Anacharis seems to be dying, while my other plants are doing fine. Why is this?

A: Anacharis is a particularly sensitive species (known to be sensitive to high temperature, trace copper, formaldehyde etc.). It is also sensitive to Flourish Excel. If you have Anacharis in an aquarium in which you are dosing Flourish Excel we recommend using Flourish Excel every other day rathter than daily.
From Seachem's own website, they admit that Excel can have negative impacts on some plants, and suggest dosing every other day.

Not all plants/setups will react the same way and maybe ok with Excel even if others have had trouble, I guess it's one of those unpredictables, that you have to try to see if it works.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From where I bought Excel, it only said it might not be good for Anacharis. They did recommend every other day. I was planning on using maybe 30% dose per day instead.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Regarding adding ferts to Eco complete-
Does anyone have nutrient info for Eco? I don't believe they publish it so we have no idea what it is in it. I assume, since it is technically like Flourite in structure that the nutrient content would be quite similar as well.

You can see a complete lack of Phospate and Nitrate. It is also quite low in Potassium as well. Personally I would dose right away if you are using Co2/Excel and have moderate to high light. Eco also has a very high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) meaning it will absorb nutrients from the water column. By adding nutrients right away you are building on what is there and keeping it available to the roots.

Nutters advice would likely work as well assuming you start with a moderate number of plants, no Co2, and lowish light or a decent fish stocking that will produce enough waste. Otherwise you may end up with a NP or K deficiency right off the bat.

I ran out of Co2 for a few days and used excel on my HC. It didnt seem to have a negative affect but it was only used for a short time.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nate McFin said:
Regarding adding ferts to Eco complete-
Does anyone have nutrient info for Eco? I don't believe they publish it so we have no idea what it is in it.
Assuming the formula hasn't changed in the last few years, there's a nutrient analysis taken off a bag of Eco-Complete found here:

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/substrates/26813-eco-complete-question.html

A page from this past January seems to confirm, though I didn't go through item-by-item:

https://www.fluidsensoronline.com/2010/01/caribsea-eco-complete-planted-aquarium-substrate/

So, you're correct in assuming relatively low NPK values.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the great info Mathas! I could not find the info on the CaribSea website. Interesting thread as well though it looks like thoughts on a few things have changed since '06.
The nutrient info listed for Flourite in the thread appears to be exactly the same.
Anyway, sorry for sort of straying off topic.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads