Best plants for a Bristlenose Pleco.

What Plants do your BN Plecos like the most?

• Vallisneria

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Java Fern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Java Moss

• Chain Sword

• Anubias Nana

• Amazon Sword

• Total voters

Tup

I was wondering what people have in their Bn Pleco aquariums. Please reply if I have missed a major Bristlenose Plant.

Flyfisha

Hey Tup,
BN must have wood in their tank. A little rotting wood gives them ether the wood to chew on or some say it’s the bio film that grows on wood. My local club member recommended drilling old drift wood to make sawdust and adding that to tiny BN fry food for their first few meals in the first fortnight of life. For one reason or another everyone agrees wood is needed in a BN tank. A cave is something really only needed for breeding but they will go in one when they are not breeding. Or they may find a dark place of their own choice?
BN are su to be nocturnal only coming out at night. But I find most will be seen in daylight some days anyway. The female are less likely to be out and about.
You ask about plants. Well any plants are ok with these fish but being able to remove everything for cleaning is of an advantage as these fish are poop machines. To remove every plant you could use terracotta pots and a sand substrate. Most basic plants can be grown in pots . Anubis grows ON wood as does Java fern.

If you have two BN it has to be male and female. They will breed very easily but have up to 200 fry . To raise one spawning of fry takes about 6 months and needs a handful of tanks with multiple water changes each week.

Vall is a great easy plant that I recommend.Again it can be grown in a pot.

image.jpg
Everything in both tanks can be removed in five minutes once every few months for a cleaning.
A62FAD84-B2CB-4321-A605-8966259070F3.jpeg

Tup

Hey Tup,
BN must have wood in their tank. A little rotting wood gives them ether the wood to chew on or some say it’s the bio film that grows on wood. My local club member recommended drilling old drift wood to make sawdust and adding that to tiny BN fry food for their first few meals in the first fortnight of life. For one reason or another everyone agrees wood is needed in a BN tank. A cave is something really only needed for breeding but they will go in one when they are not breeding. Or they may find a dark place of their own choice?
BN are su to be nocturnal only coming out at night. But I find most will be seen in daylight some days anyway. The female are less likely to be out and about.
You ask about plants. Well any plants are ok with these fish but being able to remove everything for cleaning is of an advantage as these fish are poop machines. To remove every plant you could use terracotta pots and a sand substrate. Most basic plants can be grown in pots . Anubis grows ON wood as does Java fern.

If you have two BN it has to be male and female. They will breed very easily but have up to 200 fry . To raise one spawning of fry takes about 6 months and needs a handful of tanks with multiple water changes each week.

Vall is a great easy plant that I recommend.Again it can be grown in a pot.

788567-7b45af6d82606d227e0b0e06af69025e.jpg
Everything in both tanks can be removed in five minutes once every few months for a cleaning.

788568-aea8edcaf4357c4bb5abf8d94bbb48a0.jpg
Ok, Thanks for your advice. Yeah, I am planning to have centrepiece driftwood in the middle of the tank stretching all the way from one end to the other (61 cm or 2 feet). I also am going to add some smaller driftwood and aquarium slate for more hiding spots and one of those gardening clay stakes as a cave for it. And to make sure he/she isn't stressed or overcrowded, I am going to not add any other fish (Also because I love BN Plecos so much I want he/her to come out more). As well, I am getting a powerhead (Because of their habitat) and since they are messy fish I am going to add a Seachem Tidal 35 filter to deal with their poop, as well as a lot more. But anyway thanks for the advice Flyfisha.

Flyfisha

I will be interesting to see how a BN goes long term in a 2 foot tank.

You may or may not like the look of leaf litter on the floor of a tank, but the BN will enjoy being able to turn leaves over looking for titbits.

Collect in the autumn and store dry .

Did you see the latest video of fishing for aquarium fish in the Amazon? Note the leaf litter in the backwater.

Tup

True, where would you suggest I got leaves or collect them from and also I watched that this morning, lol.
I can't wait until I can get a tank for them...
I've actually decided to wait a bit as the tank I've got now is a bit small for a Bn Pleco so I'm thinking of turning it into a Shell Dweller tank and leaving the Bn's until I have a bigger tank...

Flyfisha

Oak leaf is the common leaf I use. I pick it up from parks and other public areas.

Alder leaf ,bark and cones come from trees often found near water. I am sure you are walking past trees at the moment without realising.

Tup

Thanks, I'll look out for those...

CHJ

Plecos don't need plants. As has been mentioned I like aged wood in every pleco tank just in case.
When I eventually do a royal tank I will grab a log from a body of water so it is full of "the good stuff".
Fresh wood will not have softened and it will have nothing living in it. My grow out is black water from adding yet another grape vine/trunk to it. Always good to be aging wood in different tanks if you can. It is like having an aged in foam filter/hob/can you can use in emergencies.

That said I have some plants in some pleco tanks just because the plants were there before the plecos or I just needed space for the plants. The swords in the grow out are nearly dead, eaten by snails. The cactus have dealt with most of the snail problem, now that the cactus have finally grown.

I'm not sure which plants taste best but some plecos will eat those. Depends on plant and pleco.

I haven't leafed a pleco tank yet. I may do that with the starlight breeder. Fall is coming. with my yard it will be maple though I can gather some "magic" mulberry leaves too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Akeath
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question