Best plants for a 5 gallon tank?

BettaFishObsessed
I have a planted 5 gallon and 10 gallon. In the 10 gallon I have Java fern, Java moss, anubias, and soon I am getting water wisteria and hornwort. My five gallon just feels plain and empty, what easy to care for plants would you recommend? Also are there any other good plants for my 10 gallon I should have? I have a setup with a filter and heater (77°F). I do not have CO2. I use API Leaf Zone fertilizer and would not be opposed to going out and picking up some root tabs for any new plants. Also no one say elodea, I have tried to get it but apparently I can’t have it in my area? No pet stores have it and amazon says its illegal to ship it to me.

Advertisement
Ghelfaire
Anubias is pretty much unkillable, it comes in a variety of sizes. (Don't plant the rhizome)
Of course marimo moss balls.
Anacharis is another good one, you can leave it float or plant it.

BettaFishObsessed
Anubias is pretty much unkillable, it comes in a variety of sizes. (Don't plant the rhizome)
Of course marimo moss balls.
Anacharis is another good one, you can leave it float or plant it.

i didnt plant the rhizome, I have it tied on to decorations. And I have a marimo moss ball in my 5 gallon that I forgot to mention, but i will probably get more of them!

Ghelfaire
i didnt plant the rhizome, I have it tied on to decorations. And I have a marimo moss ball in my 5 gallon that I forgot to mention, but i will probably get more of them!
You can also leave anubias to float.

BettaFishObsessed
You can also leave anubias to float.

i have heard that, and I am considering splitting the plant into two at some point to have another one floating, but I kind of like the look of it on the ground better

StarGirl
I have some Bacopa, Anacharis and Guppy grass that are doing well in my 5g. When they get tall I trim them and replant them. You can also let them float. I would recommend getting something better than Leaf Zone though. It is just Potassium and Iron. Plants need more than that. I would get a "all in one" like Thrive C or Co-op's Easy green. I don't use root tabs in there either. I have sand substrate in my 5g.

Advertisement
BettaFishObsessed
I have some Bacopa, Anacharis and Guppy grass that are doing well in my 5g. When they get tall I trim them and replant them. You can also let them float. I would recommend getting something better than Leaf Zone though. It is just Potassium and Iron. Plants need more than that. I would get a "all in one" like Thrive C or Co-op's Easy green. I don't use root tabs in there either. I have sand substrate in my 5g.

okay, I will look at guppy grass! I will also look for a better fertilizer.

Nataku
Some other ideas for small tanks include banana plant (not the kind of banana you eat, the rhizome of this plant looks like a bunch of bananas), red dwarf aquarium lilly, dwarf sagittaria or dwarf hairgrass. These are all super easy to grow and will stay at a pretty reasonable size for a small tank. Also, a better all in one fertilizer would help, I recommend aquarium co-op's easy green, comes with a little pump top to measure and dispense. Super easy.

BettaFishObsessed
Some other ideas for small tanks include banana plant (not the kind of banana you eat, the rhizome of this plant looks like a bunch of bananas), red dwarf aquarium lilly, dwarf sagittaria or dwarf hairgrass. These are all super easy to grow and will stay at a pretty reasonable size for a small tank. Also, a better all in one fertilizer would help, I recommend aquarium co-op's easy green, comes with a little pump top to measure and dispense. Super easy.

okay, I will look into getting the easy green! I will also research all of these plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
  • Question
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
Replies