Best Plant Algae Eaters? Question

1. s

sam mcworthington New Member Member

I have lots of black beard algae on my Anubis

i have tried cherry shrimp but they always end up dying somehow as i never see them anymore

anyone know any good plant algae eaters??

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank and tankmates?

We normally don't reccomend buying an animal to fix your problem, rather focus on how you can change your maintainence to reduce the issue of algae.

3. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

In my experience nothing eats beard algae. Find out what’s the cause (too much or too long of light would be my first guess). Pull it off and hope for the best. I had to do a hydrogen peroxide dip to get ride of it after I adjusted my lights and ferts

4. OP
    OP
    s

sam mcworthington New Member Member

40g 2 bolivian rams, 10 guppies, 1 platy, 3 corydora - the algae seems to have come from when i had the plants in a smaller 10 gallon and now its stuck around only on my Anubias

5. t

Try dipping the plant in hydrogen Peroxide for 15 seconds. Then rise well with fresh water.
    Or if that’s not an option for you, simply clip the leafs close to the steam, the nice thing about Anubias is the leaves grow back quickly.
    Truth in advertising, I am by far a plant expert. I have done both to my Anubias in the past though.

6. aussieJJDude

@tjander, no need to rinse hydrogen peroxide. It is relatively inert and will quickly break down to water and O2...

7. t

Agreed, however I figure it never hurts to always rise in treated or old aquarium water. Hundreds of dollars of fish and plants plus the time and labor. I figure an ounce of precaution is worth the effort.
    Just my opinion. I understand it’s inert, and to honest I have heard of people using it directly in the water.

8. aussieJJDude

I've used ir in water... shrimp, snails and fish have no ill effect when Im trying to 'dose' my plants and they get in the way. Heck you can drink the stuff and unless you go OTT, can cause serious injury - so can water for that matter!