Best Plant Algae Eaters? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by sam mcworthington, May 16, 2018.

  1. sam mcworthingtonNew MemberMember

    I have lots of black beard algae on my Anubis

    i have tried cherry shrimp but they always end up dying somehow as i never see them anymore

    anyone know any good plant algae eaters??
  2. aussieJJDude

    aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

    How big is the tank and tankmates?

    We normally don't reccomend buying an animal to fix your problem, rather focus on how you can change your maintainence to reduce the issue of algae.
  3. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

    In my experience nothing eats beard algae. Find out what’s the cause (too much or too long of light would be my first guess). Pull it off and hope for the best. I had to do a hydrogen peroxide dip to get ride of it after I adjusted my lights and ferts
  4. OP

    sam mcworthingtonNew MemberMember

    40g 2 bolivian rams, 10 guppies, 1 platy, 3 corydora - the algae seems to have come from when i had the plants in a smaller 10 gallon and now its stuck around only on my Anubias
  5. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

    Try dipping the plant in hydrogen Peroxide for 15 seconds. Then rise well with fresh water.
    Or if that’s not an option for you, simply clip the leafs close to the steam, the nice thing about Anubias is the leaves grow back quickly.
    Truth in advertising, I am by far a plant expert. I have done both to my Anubias in the past though.
  6. aussieJJDude

    aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

    @tjander, no need to rinse hydrogen peroxide. It is relatively inert and will quickly break down to water and O2...
  7. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

    Agreed, however I figure it never hurts to always rise in treated or old aquarium water. Hundreds of dollars of fish and plants plus the time and labor. I figure an ounce of precaution is worth the effort.
    Just my opinion. I understand it’s inert, and to honest I have heard of people using it directly in the water.
  8. aussieJJDude

    aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

    I've used ir in water... shrimp, snails and fish have no ill effect when Im trying to 'dose' my plants and they get in the way. Heck you can drink the stuff and unless you go OTT, can cause serious injury - so can water for that matter!

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice