Best placement for heater?

Ssnaaiil

What is the best placement for a heater? Next to the filter? Middle of tank? As far away from filter as possible?

AcornTheBetta

Ssnaaiil said:
What is the best placement for a heater? Next to the filter? Middle of tank? As far away from filter as possible?
I really don't think it matters too much, but close to the filter intake would be good because then heated water would be circulated.

AquaticQueen

Close to the filter intake but also near the bottom of the tank so that you don't accidentally fry it during water changes.

RayClem

You want to put the heater in an area with good water flow. Thus, close to the filter intake or outflow is great. If you have an airstone, sponge filter, or powerhead, that would also be good. Warm water rises, so a heater creates its own gentle current, but putting it in an area of high flow is even better. You do not want a tank to have any hotspots or cold spots.

Betta'sAnonymous

Whether its a sponge filter or an HOB, i always place it right next to the sponge/intake. Then usually place my thermometer about as far away from all of it as i can.

SecondTime

How about proximity to plants? Will the heater cause any damage to them?

RayClem

SecondTime said:
You do not want the plant leaves touching the tube, but otherwise, you should be OK. I worry far more about my pleco and snails who love cleaning the tube.

Dechi

SecondTime said:
I’ve had leaves touching the heater without any problems. In heavily planted tanks, even if you’re being careful the plants aren’t too close to the heater, eventually they will grow and touch it.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom