Best Place to Order Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by tommy jr., Dec 27, 2012.

1. tommy jr.Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone,
    Looking for at least 20 Hydro Sponge (IV or V). Up here in Canada they are around 17 to 20 bucks each in the pet stores!!!
    I have been told if I order on line they are much cheaper, so does anyone know of any sites to order from that would be cheaper?
    If you know of any good places please let me know, I'd love to check them out.

2. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Have you considered making one?

Looking at some here in the states, once shipping is factored in, it is about the same price or more.

Outlaw

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Have you tried amazon?  

4. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

That is good for "up to" 20gal
    CDN$ 7.99 + CDN$ 5.99 shipping

Even the Seapora 136 (for 30gal+) is CDN$ 13.59 + CDN$ 6.99 shipping

Hydro-Sponge IV - 4 x 4 3/4 - <80 gallons
    Hydro-Sponge V - 4 x 5 3/4 ->125 gallons
    Source-  

I never realized how expensive sponge filters are.

Are you looking for this for your 180 listed in your info? If so, and wanting to go large community as you have in there, I would not recommend sponge filters unless you have a specific application not otherwise mentioned.

Outlaw

5. OP
    OP
    t

tommy jr.Valued MemberMember

Sorry Outlaw I should have mentioned what they were going to be for (not to mention probably should change my info too).
    I am building a large rack that will hold
    2 80 gallons
    6 40 gallon breeders
    9 20 gallon longs

This rack is multi purpose used for breeding, raising fry, quarintine/hospital tank, grow outs.
    I know the larger sponges are over kill for the 20's and possibly the 40's but I always over filter.

Since I am running a central air pump and there is tubeing all aroung the room, I'm also going to run them as kind of a back up on my 180 gallon, 240 gallon and the 600 gallon plywood tank we are in the process of building. The big tanks all run at least one fluval fx5 and an aqua clear 110. I also went and bought aqua clears for all the tanks on the racks too but ...................

One day I had a call from home while I was at the cabin. The better half tripped a breaker in the basement and even once back on some of the aqua clears didn't start back up by themselves. I know I just had to give the prop a little poke but no one at home could do it. They said they were scared to mess something up. So I packed up and came all the way home just for that.

I figure I might not use the aqua clears on the rack because 17 of them was big bucks and they are not the most reliable to have if they do not start back up. My main pump is big enough to run at least 60 sponges and it has a battery back up so I am going to return the aqua clears (still not used) and use sponges instead on the big rack.
    The large tanks will have them just for when the power goes out.

The other thing is that one main pump is a lot cheaper to run (purchase price and electricity wise) then a bunch of aqua clears.

6. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Wow, that sounds like quite the set up. Commercial or just a hobby? Probably, from the sounds of it, a "paying hobby"? :)

I'll be the first to point out: Photos are in order. Both now and when it's complete.

7. OP
    OP
    t

Actually it is a hobby that has turned into a huge obsession (and money pit)! I told myself that I was going to keep it small and have only one big tank. That turned into "better have another tank or two" for qt / hospital tank. That turned into me not being able to decide what I wanted most in my 180 so I got a 240. That turns into "I need something bigger" and so it goes we are doing a big plywood tank.
    Then I decided since my angles and cichlids breed all the time, maybe I should have some breeding and grow out tanks....etc etc etc.
    I am brutal with computers but my brother is pretty good with them so he is going to compile a bunch of build photos at various stages and then we will try and post a bunch.

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    t

Still looking for some suggestions on where to get these at a good price.
    There are some sites I found in the US that are good but by the time I ship, not so much.
    Does anyone know of anywhere within Canada to get good deal on sponge filters?

10. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Hmm. I would send toosie a message here. She's not been active lately, but I have seen her lurking around sometimes. She's in Canada and may have some ideas for you.

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Have you looked at big al's?

12. marine590622

marine590622Well Known MemberMember

Check out  

this is what I use in my fish room. It is expensive compared to the hydro sponges but maintenance is a once a year deal. Take it outside in the summer and hose it off. Done.

13. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

check out petland.ca, homesalive, and petsandponds. all are based in canada, not sure if they have the sponges you are looking for though.

14. marine590622

marine590622Well Known MemberMember

15. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

Check out Pets and Ponds  . Canadian with great shipping rates.

16. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks to all for the info.
    Looks like pleco dragon is on to a great site! petsandponds looks pretty good, I think I'll try them out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice