Best place to buy computer parts.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm looking to buy some part to upgrade my computer where the best place to get Ram, SSD and disk drives for cheap?
 

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,447
Reaction score
10
Experience
3 years
Have you tried Amazon? Everything's cheaper on there lol.


 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dom90 said:
Have you tried Amazon? Everything's cheaper on there lol.
I look on there but ik there other companies that sell for cheaper but I forgot there websites.
 

Slug

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,645
Reaction score
92
Location
Columbia, South Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
Amazon or Newegg most likely. I'm actually doing the same currently. Wanting to build a whole new rig from the ground up.

You can go to enter the parts and it will bring up who has the best price on it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slug said:
Amazon or Newegg most likely. I'm actually doing the same currently. Wanting to build a whole new rig from the ground up.

You can go to enter the parts and it will bring up who has the best price on it.
Nice, I'm just upgrading my current computer so it can handle my designing software.
 

Slug

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,645
Reaction score
92
Location
Columbia, South Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine started as that, but you know how it goes......upgrade fever struck LOL and here I am now budgeting for a whole new PC.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slug said:
Mine started as that, but you know how it goes......upgrade fever struck LOL and here I am now budgeting for a whole new PC.
Lol was you start u can stop, that partpicker website is very usefull thanx for that link.
 

Slug

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,645
Reaction score
92
Location
Columbia, South Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
I start out wanting to update my Graphics card, which leads to a new CPU for fear of bottlenecking, well that means I need a new Mobo too, which leads to new RAM which also leads to a new version of Windows so I can take advantage of the added RAM, which leads to a new SSD boot drive, which leads to all of the other parts like a new case/power supply/etc being tacked on as well. Might as well build from the ground up! Hahaha
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slug said:
I start out wanting to update my Graphics card, which leads to a new CPU for fear of bottlenecking, well that means I need a new Mobo too, which leads to new RAM which also leads to a new version of Windows so I can take advantage of the added RAM, which leads to a new SSD boot drive, which leads to all of the other parts like a new case/power supply/etc being tacked on as well. Might as well build from the ground up! Hahaha
Yep might aswell build a whole new computer. I'm doing a project turing my laptop into desktop let see how that turns outs.
 

Rivieraneo

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,575
Reaction score
260
Location
So. Cal
Experience
Just started
Will your current MOBO allow you to upgrade to where you want to be at in RAM, CPU and video graphics ?

I picked up an ASUS machine refurbished through Best Buy with a 8 core processor, 12gb ram, 2 TB Sata drive for around $700 about a year ago. Ended up using the Sata as storage and loaded win 7 to a SSD.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can handle 2 4 gallon rams, I still trying figure out if I can handle a new stronger cpu, the video card can't be upgraded. What do you use that ASUS for sound like a beast lol.
 

Rivieraneo

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,575
Reaction score
260
Location
So. Cal
Experience
Just started
Day to day all around, was as expensive as a new ASUS with half the specs. Price point was my motivator.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you know anything of AMD cpus I currently have a 2.1ghz was thinking of upgrading to 3.0ghz. Why is ram so expensive. image.jpg
 

Rivieraneo

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,575
Reaction score
260
Location
So. Cal
Experience
Just started
Leo, what are you trying to do with your machine? What is your goal? Any special software or game you want to run?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rivieraneo said:
Leo, what are you trying to do with your machine? What is your goal? Any special software or game you want to run?
To be able to run my CAD software with it taking a really long time to run.
 

Slug

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,645
Reaction score
92
Location
Columbia, South Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
RAM always gets expensive when a new generation appears. Since DDR4 just came out DDR3 dropped in price due to the current stock, but will eventually rise and rise and rise due to less production and demand for it. I suspect the same has happened to DDR2. It's a legacy format now and the only one's using it are those with older machines. Hardly anyone is producing it anymore so the supply can charge a lot more for it. We will see the same thing for DDR3 eventually when DDR4 obsoletes it. At some point you have to decide if the upgrade is comparable in costs to the legacy parts needed.

How exactly are you turning a laptop into a desktop if I may ask? I've never seen it done.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slug said:
RAM always gets expensive when a new generation appears. Since DDR4 just came out DDR3 dropped in price due to the current stock, but will eventually rise and rise and rise due to less production and demand for it. I suspect the same has happened to DDR2. It's a legacy format now and the only one's using it are those with older machines. Hardly anyone is producing it anymore so the supply can charge a lot more for it. We will see the same thing for DDR3 eventually when DDR4 obsoletes it. At some point you have to decide if the upgrade is comparable in costs to the legacy parts needed.

How exactly are you turning a laptop into a desktop if I may ask? I've never seen it done.
Taking the whole motherboard out and is components, putting it in a new destop style diy case with better cooling. Then connecting a usd mouse and keyboard and a external monitor.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slug said:
Oh ok that makes more sense, basically taking the shell off the laptop.
yea basiclly there not much I can upgrade on but what I can I will, I will upgrade the harddrive, ram, disk drive, wireless card and the CPU once I figure out if I can.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,002
Reaction score
126
Location
Cary il
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok turn out my oldest laptop is already maxed out and can get upgrade talk to HP. But my other newer laptop can be upgrade ram and too SSD, but how can I found out if I can upgrade the cpu? Cause toshiba support keep putting me on hold. Slug will upgrading the harddrive get rid of any virus and trojans it might have cause I'm pretty sure it has a trojan. that's the spec of the laptop I want to upgrade.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
160
Guests online
2,593
Total visitors
2,753

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom