Best place to buy computer parts.

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by LeoDiaz, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Im looking to buy some part to upgrade my computer where the best place to get Ram, SSD and disk drives for cheap?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried Amazon? Everything's cheaper on there lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

I look on there but ik there other companies that sell for cheaper but i forgot there websites.

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Amazon or Newegg most likely. I'm actually doing the same currently. Wanting to build a whole new rig from the ground up.

You can go to   enter the parts and it will bring up who has the best price on it.

5. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Nice, im just upgrading my current computer so it can handle my designing software.

6. Slug

Mine started as that, but you know how it goes......upgrade fever struck LOL and here I am now budgeting for a whole new PC.

7. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Lol was you start u can stop, that partpicker website is very usefull thanx for that link.

8. Slug

I start out wanting to update my Graphics card, which leads to a new CPU for fear of bottlenecking, well that means I need a new Mobo too, which leads to new RAM which also leads to a new version of Windows so i can take advantage of the added RAM, which leads to a new SSD boot drive, which leads to all of the other parts like a new case/power supply/etc being tacked on as well. Might as well build from the ground up! Hahaha

9. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Yep might aswell build a whole new computer. Im doing a project turing my laptop into desktop let see how that turns outs.

10. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Will your current MOBO allow you to upgrade to where you want to be at in RAM, CPU and video graphics ?

I picked up an ASUS machine refurbished through Best Buy with a 8 core processor, 12gb ram, 2 TB Sata drive for around $700 about a year ago. Ended up using the Sata as storage and loaded win 7 to a SSD.

11. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

i can handle 2 4g rams, i still trying figure out if i can handle a new stronger cpu, the video card cant be upgraded. What do you use that ASUS for sound like a beast lol.

12. Rivieraneo

Day to day all around, was as expensive as a new ASUS with half the specs. Price point was my motivator.

13. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Do you know anything of AMD cpus i currently have a 2.1ghz was thinking of upgrading to 3.0ghz. Why is ram so expensive. image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. Rivieraneo

Leo, what are you trying to do with your machine? What is your goal? Any special software or game you want to run?

15. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

To be able to run my CAD software with it taking a really long time to run.

16. Slug

RAM always gets expensive when a new generation appears. Since DDR4 just came out DDR3 dropped in price due to the current stock, but will eventually rise and rise and rise due to less production and demand for it. I suspect the same has happened to DDR2. It's a legacy format now and the only one's using it are those with older machines. Hardly anyone is producing it anymore so the supply can charge a lot more for it. We will see the same thing for DDR3 eventually when DDR4 obsoletes it. At some point you have to decide if the upgrade is comparable in costs to the legacy parts needed.

How exactly are you turning a laptop into a desktop if I may ask? I've never seen it done.

17. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Taking the whole motherboard out and is components, putting it in a new destop style diy case with better cooling. Then connecting a usd mouse and keyboard and a external monitor.

18. Slug

Oh ok that makes more sense, basically taking the shell off the laptop.

19. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

yea basiclly there not much i can upgrade on but what i can i will, I will upgrade the harddrive, ram, disk drive, wireless card and the CPU once i figure out if i can.

20. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Ok turn out my oldest laptop is already maxed out and can get upgrade talk to HP. But my other newer laptop can be upgrade ram and too SSD, but how can i found out if i can upgrade the cpu? Cause toshiba support keep putting me on hold. Slug will upgrading the harddrive get rid of any virus and trojans it might have cause im pretty sure it has a trojan.   thats the spec of the laptop i want to upgrade.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice