Best pellet/flake food for African dwarf frogs? Frog won't eat.

1. Africandwarffrogowner

Africandwarffrogowner Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have three ADFs and one won't eat the bloodworms at all. I'm going to get brine shrimp today, but would also like a good pellet or flake food for some variety. I'm nervous if I can't get the one who won't eat the bloodworms by tonight, he might die. He seemed fine when I left for work today, but I guess early this morning he was on his back (almost appearing dead)... Help???

Also, I feed them using plastic tweezers. The other two eat every time I feed them, I haven't seen the third one eat at all though and he doesn't even acknowledge the bloodworms right in front of his face.

2. ErinE

ErinE Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't keep them alive. They need perfect water conditions and need to be pretty much spoon fed. I've read about feeding them on a dish so they learn to eat in the same place and feeding them with tweezers.

3. OP
    OP
    Africandwarffrogowner

Africandwarffrogowner Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The water conditions are fine, that's not the problem. It's just one of them not eating from the tweezers. I think I just might need a new kind of food. That was my question.

4. Lemonz13

Lemonz13 Member Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I had the same problem when I had 3 ADFs. Two were plump but the third one would never react when I tried feeding him. That one eventually died while I had it in qt. the other two are still swimming though.

The third one I had only took a bit of food when I fed him the first couple days in the qt tank, but I think that was just dumb luck

Have you tried taking him out separately to feed him/leaving him with the food for a bit in a small dish so he learns he can eat it.

The two I still have eat bloodworms, and occasionally eat the shrimp pellets that I have for the fish. But a varied diet never hurts!

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Mine will eat the sinking bottom feeder pellets from Hikari. I break them into quarters and give the frogs a few when I'm feeding my other tanks. They also liked frozen glass worms and ablend called Emerald Entree. ( I thaw cubes of different foods and feed the blend.)

Target feeding is important. A small dish or plate can make a world of difference.