Best Options To Treat Ammonia Burns/infections Help

1. GoggleHat

GoggleHat Valued Member Member

What would be the best method for me to treat my ranchu's ammonia burns now that I have been working to re-start my 35 gallon tank's cycle? I found through other resources that I should move him to a QT for treatment, would that be necessary? My QT hasn't been fully cycled.

2. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

Don’t overfeed, and do at least a 50 % water change every other day.

3. Biev

Biev Valued Member Member

Clean water, clean water, clean water! You'll need daily water changes until your cycle is complete, plus conditionner whenever ammonia or nitrites get higher than 0.25 ppm and 0.5 ppm respectively.

4. OP
    OP
    GoggleHat

I've been doing 50% changes at least every other day, and feeding him every other day at most. He has red marks and dark edges to his fins, should I treat those or just rely on the water changes?

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

WCs are the best way. Try not to add too much stress though. Slowly do them.

6. OP
    OP
    GoggleHat

How can I do them slowly? If I change the water on the opposite side of where he lies and it doesn't move him or cause much commotion near him, should it be fine?

7. 75g Discus Tank

When you siphon out the water, don’t do it near the fish. When you refill the water, use a spaghetti strainer.

8. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

its the speghetti strainer to simulate rain as apposes to just dumping and disturbing the water?

9. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyG Valued Member Member

For doing water changes, I've been using a siphon (on my gravel vacuum) to get the water out, but I've been using an inexpensive water pump to put the water back *in*. It's gentle and has saved me from having to try and lift a 5-gallon bucket full of water up to be able to pour/siphon it. I bought this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Sub...TF8&qid=1527189105&sr=8-5&keywords=water+pump

It did not come with a hose, however, so you'll have to get one. I did my first fish-in water change today and they were not disturbed at all! I made sure the water was the same temp as my tank... actually they seemed to enjoy playing in the moving water.

~G

10. 75g Discus Tank

No, it just slows down the water flow into the tank.