Best option for Ich?

Hemikyle

Reaction score
I recently discovered its official my Angelfish has ich. Now how do I go about curing?

Should I use a medication? I heard Ich X is good. Worried if I have any invertebrates because it might be harmful.

Should I use salt? I heard it's bad for invertebrates?

Or should I use heat? Can my fish handle it? My roseline sharks say they can only have a max of 77°F?

Here's a list of what's in the tank....

Harlequin Rasboras
Diamond Tetras
Kuhli Loaches
Roseline Sharks
Brittlenose Pleco
Koi Angelfish (infected one)

BassKase

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm currently dealing with Ich as well. I'm dosing Ich-X as directed on the bottle, and I increased the temp to 84, but I only have Harlequins and Neons in mine. My snails haven't been affected at all by the treatment. Other than not caring for the increased heat.

The more you can increase the temp, the quicker the Ich goes through its life cycle and is able to be affected by the meds.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Sounds like I'll have to get some Ich X how high do you think i can bring the temp up? Since there saying 77°F is the highest? At least for water parameters that is.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would only do the meds or heat.... not both. I would try the heat up to 86. The fish will be ok for a short period of time. Tanks get warm in the summer all the time. Slowly move the heat up. Do lots of gravel/sand vacs.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suggest that you use the heat method.
Raise temp to 86 for two weeks minimum.
During this time, every other day, do a 50-75% water change, and make sure that you do a thorough cleaning of your substrate for any cysts that fall off.
After two weeks, you should see a a reduction of the Ich, or completely gone.
Do another 75-80% water change, and bring the temp back down to where it originally was.
Medicine, and especially Salt, should be your last resort.
Salt should only be used as a dip.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Got it awesome thank you all so much I hope my Angelfish gets better :)

Should i just move my temp in increments slowly to 86? Or move thr dial right on 86? And let it warm up that way?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SLOWLYYYYYY not all at once. I would do a degree every few hours.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
SLOWLYYYYYY not all at once. I would do a degree every few hours.
Awesome thank you so much :)

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
UPDATE!
My Angelfish who had the ich. Is losing the white spots should I keep progressing forward with the heat treatment?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you could just give your fish a med bath in a seperate smaller contaner, that way the meds are more concentrated to heal your fish. let it bath for a bit, send him back to the tank and do it the next day and so on until its okay

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Nickguy5467 said:
you could just give your fish a med bath in a seperate smaller contaner, that way the meds are more concentrated to heal your fish. let it bath for a bit, send him back to the tank and do it the next day and so on until its okay
Well the angelfish is starting to not show the white spots anymore there disappearing so I'm deciding on if I should keep up with the heat treatment or not. I noticed them and I decided to take action a day or two after realizing what I now have. I looked today and the spots were not as bad as they were as I was trying to do the heat treatment

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Hi guys so I recently made a post about my Angelfish having white spots near his eyes. They said they believe it was ich. So therefore I decided to act and start a treatment. I picked the heat treatment my tank is at 80°F still trying to climb to 86°F but I've been noticing the white spots aren't as noticeable as they started, almost as if they are disappearing before I even started the treatment.

Now my main question is should I still continue on with the treatment? There are still white spots present.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I say yes. Give it a full two weeks to make sure they are gone. Also keep up with cleaning your substrate every other day, or two.
Without going through the whole treatment, there is a possibility that the Ich will come back.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The temperature doesn't let the parasites reproduce, but it doesn't kill them. They're invisible. If you don't continue treatment until the parasites die off, they'll reproduce and the ich will come back with a vengeance.

TomRiddle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just wanted to add that I have had success feeding metroplex for a long duration to eliminate ich in a community tank. Long story short I encountered it and did a heat treatment, a few weeks later it started to return and didn’t want to go through that process again so tried feeding metroplex. Got rid of it. Only works if all the fish are good eaters. I fed it for a month. Maybe combining the two strategies will help kick it to the curb?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom