Best Online Store

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Jeezusjuiicee, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Jeezusjuiicee

JeezusjuiiceeValued MemberMember

Hey gang so I'm in the market for new substrate. But all my local shops just have 1 or 2 different options for sand. And then the colored fake rock and that's it really. I'm so sick of that colored gravel! I used to love it as a kid but I'm a grown man and I want some real stuff haha.

So I live in Canada, and I'm looking for a good shop online to find more variety! I found this one site that sold all different kinds of rocks and sand from all over the world. But wouldn't ship to me can't remember the site now. But any links or tips are highly appreciated!

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

If you have a pool supply place near you you can get a #50 bag of pool filter sand for $8-12 and IMO is simple to clean and gives a very natural look to your tank. I use it in all my tanks. Other options are play sand and black diamond blasting sand.

4. OP
    OP
    Jeezusjuiicee

Thanks to both of you! But this one site I found was selling like sand from different beaches and rocks from different areas of the world and they were all so beautiful. So I meant something more like that!

5. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperWell Known MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    Jeezusjuiicee

Yea they have tons of the natural rock/sand! I didnt realize Carribean naturals had so many options! Very nice stuff.

Hey if you know the answer to this. If I want live plants I don't want gravel that's to big right? But I was thinking, can you put a layer of sand underneath your substrate so you can have plants even in really big gravel?

7. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperWell Known MemberMember

I have yet to venture into live plants that go into the gravel, though they DO have a separate section in Angel Fins for plant substrates... ive read sand doesnt offer much nutrients to plants, but others may know more. I do know that some stores sell plants for tanks already in a pot, so it may be just fine in whatever substrate.

Hopefully others chime in. I only have duck weed in my tank, collected wild from a local river.