best online live fish site?

1. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

hey i live in the middle of no where in the adirondacks. anyone buy fish online, if so what is a good place to get. cant find any reviews

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to FL! I haven't used them, but a lot of members have enjoyed liveaquaria.com and of course member sell/ship fish here on the forum too.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

My favorite is aquabid

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I've heard of lots of good experiences with thatpetplace.com and drsfosterandsmith.com. :)

5. ray_sj Member Member

I've used liveaquaria.com and am very happy and satisfied with them. Their packaging of fish for shipment is the best I've ever seen. All fish I ordered survived the trip and are healthy to this day.

I've also used aquabid with good results, but of course, the quality varies with the seller.

Whoever you buy from online, get the fish shipped by overnight express. Being in a box for several days really takes its toll on fish health.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I go with aquabid and have had terrific success with the priority shipping, but I don't live in the middle of no where. For that reason, overnight is a smart choice.

7. Slug Well Known Member Member

What type of fish are you looking for? Many places specialize or are better at one thing then others and we might be able to help that way.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello askRaptor adn Welcome to Fish Lore! Hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

9. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

where do i go to get to the buy sell section of this forum?

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I like aquabid, and I always use priority shipping(takes 1-3 days) and my fish are fine

11. kacie Member Member

You can look at Atlantis Tropical Fish Hatchery, south of you in Ulster Co., or aquabid.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You can find the B/S/T section of the forum from the main forum page.
    However, you must have at least 50 posts to participate in that forum.

13. jase123 Initiate

discountfish.co.uk

Hi yes discountfish.co.uk are very good, people suspect they are cheapfish.co.uk which was unfair to them so i ordered and had such a great service from them

14. TreyGiles Member Member

I have heard lot of good things about live aquaria and aqua bid. I recently ordered a 45 lb box of premium fiji live rock from live aquaria, it got here on time and in great shape. There is another site called saltwaterfish.com, I have heard sketchy things about them though, so order at your own risk. Last time I checked they had great shipping rates. Here is a link http://www.saltwaterfish.com/

15. Elodea Well Known Member Member

But doesn't Liveaquaria have a huge shipping fee?

16. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, does discountfish.co.uk offer reasonable shipping rates to the US?
    The original poster lives in the US (as can be seen both in the post and in the user info), so your website is very unlikely to offer good deals to him.

17. Rearden Initiate Member

I'd suggest that you check out local clubs and by extension local hobbyists and breeders. I joined quite a few, Angel fish Society & Capital Cichlid's for example, and have met a lot of very interesting and helpful people while also coming across a bunch of really fabulous fish that you'll never see in any LFS.

One major benefit is that you'll likely be getting fish that are already acclimated to your local water. Another is that your fish don't have to be subjected to the rigors and stress of being kicked around in a box for a day or two. There's also the issue of helping to perpetuate the hobby without necessarily encouraging the depletion of wild populations and the further disturbance of their habitat. Last but certainly not least, you'll be helping a fellow enthusiast to accomplish what we all seem to crave...have an excuse to go get some more fish!

Otherwise members on forums like this are also great resources.