Best Online Live Fish Shopping

Emp1996

Reaction score
So what's everyone's opinion on buying fish online , any ideas/sites with good prices guppies ? I am debating on this one solid black fancy male guppy I seen on eBay. But , thought I see everyone's input on online buying. I'm sure it's fine , but I'm in all curious .

Is there a price that is considered to much for a guppy ?

Is shipping really typically 20$^ on up.

Why do people typically sell trio , or mating pairs , I have a tiny bit of a hard time finding just a single female or male .

highfive52

Reaction score
Emp1996 said:
So what's everyone's opinion on buying fish online , any ideas/sites with good prices guppies ? I am debating on this one solid black fancy male guppy I seen on eBay. But , thought I see everyone's input on online buying. I'm sure it's fine , but I'm in all curious .

Is there a price that is considered to much for a guppy ?

Is shipping really typically 20$^ on up.

Why do people typically sell trio , or mating pairs , I have a tiny bit of a hard time finding just a single female or male .
Hmmmm. Get with your groups and see if you can secure without buying online. Risky. Tried it once, hundreds of dollars of fish arrived dead. Local lfs can order your fish with their order, so you view before you take home. It comes in dead they have to deal with replacement. Good luck. Let us know how ya do.

OP
Emp1996

Emp1996

Reaction score
highfive52 said:
Hmmmm. Get with your groups and see if you can secure without buying online. Risky. Tried it once, hundreds of dollars of fish arrived dead. Local lfs can order your fish with their order, so you view before you take home. It comes in dead they have to deal with replacement. Good luck. Let us know how ya do.
never thought about that , I have one local fish store here , they are mainly saltwater , but do a small variety of freshwater

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really depends on what you’re ordering in my opinion. If you have a LFS that can order it in for you then that’s great.

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bought 400 bucks worth of discus online 3 weeks ago. Arrived perfect as guaranteed. Flat rate shipping of 39 dollars. Left New York at 4:30 in the afternoon and were at my door in California at 10 the next morning! Shipping fee will make the price of a guppy not worth it.
Ifishstore

OP
Emp1996

Emp1996

Reaction score
Donthemon said:
Bought 400 bucks worth of discus online 3 weeks ago. Arrived perfect as guaranteed. Flat rate shipping of 39 dollars. Left New York at 4:30 in the afternoon and were at my door in California at 10 the next morning! Shipping fee will make the price of a guppy not worth it.
Ifishstore
yea , I mean I'd pay 20 for a nice looking guppy. But when the shipping is equal or more then the price of a guppy then its kinda like , maybe not that tempting. Now , do you happen to know , why people typically want to sell a trio or mating pair . I have a hard time finding just a single decent looking guppy.

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Emp1996 said:
yea , I mean I'd pay 20 for a nice looking guppy. But when the shipping is equal or more then the price of a guppy then its kinda like , maybe not that tempting. Now , do you happen to know , why people typically want to sell a trio or mating pair . I have a hard time finding just a single decent looking guppy.
I'd look at Trinsfish, Imperial Tropicals, and if you're willing to pay overnight shipping or live on the west coast, The Wet Spot is really nice. I've had great luck with these places, and everyone else seems to have had luck with them too. If you're ordering from Ebay or Aquabid, just look at the reviews of the seller. If you find someone with a bunch of great reviews, then you should be good.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're looking for a single guppy you're likely going to have a hard time not spending a lot. Priority shipping alone will range $10-20, more for overnight. I just purchased 6 guppies on Aquabid and shipping was $10. $10 shipping for 6 fish really isn't a huge deal but if you're buying only 1 it makes it harder. Plus a lot of places have a minimum. There are places like liveaquaria you can order from but you don't get to pick out the individual fish.

You just will need to look at it in terms of the breeders side. It'll be hard for them to mess around to make $20 total on one fish as $10 of it will go to shipping. So by the time they are photographing, listing, packing, etc they've spent a lot of time just for $10.

Once you get into pairs and trios it gets a little more reasonable with cost.

Katestanks02

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use aquabid. It’s a little confusing at first. I recently bought 10 koI guppy fry for 20 and I think the shipping was 15. All of them came in super healthy and I didn’t have any losses. They were packaged really well too.

I’ve used aquatic arts too. Their fish are always healthy but don’t place any orders in the winter. I tried twice and they weren’t packed well, I had doa’s both times.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second AquaBid .
Breeders sell trios because males whip up on females so they are responsibly trying to offer the proper ratio of fish to help them survive in your aquarium .

OP
Emp1996

Emp1996

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I've never shipped nor bought a fish precisely , but everything makes since. My 30 gallon is still cycling , so can't get any atm. But , it's nice to know in advance.

New Threads