Best of Friends! (Failed Breeding Attempt)

Bettaboo123

Reaction score
Below is some shots of my male and female pair, Oberon and Titania. They have grown very close, not my intent but still very cute! Wishing they would breed, but oh well.
6D4A58CF-3AEA-480E-9004-BB509A88A863.jpeg
E911551F-DF0A-41EF-AD76-1D7D714087E5.jpeg
76FF910E-BE6A-4589-9D6B-E2F922F7775E.jpeg

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fact that they live in harmony together without fighting is a miracle in itself so be grateful for what you have.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Hmmm, a while ago someone posted here who kept a male-female pair permanently housed and it worked out... They also did eventually breed, and the fry were left in the same tank and grew up in there without issue.

Not an endorsement but something to think about :p

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, at least they are living in harmony. With a little luck, you’ll get some fry one day

mrsP

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Hmmm, a while ago someone posted here who kept a male-female pair permanently housed and it worked out...
Could've been me. I sadly lost my male, but female still lives in 40 gallon with all other fish. Congrats, they are cute when they swim and like to be together. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
mrsP said:
Could've been me. I sadly lost my male, but female still lives in 40 gallon with all other fish. Congrats, they are cute when they swim and like to be together. :)
Were you the person with the tanks connected through a length of tubing?

OP
Bettaboo123

Bettaboo123

Reaction score
mrsP said:
Oh I am so sorry for your loss.

mrsP

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Were you the person with the tanks connected through a length of tubing?
No, that's someone else. I've had bettas always in my planted tanks, always a pair, and never had issues with them. Perhaps because tanks are large enough and hevily planted. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
mrsP said:
No, that's someone else. I've had bettas always in my planted tanks, always a pair, and never had issues with them. Perhaps because tanks are large enough and hevily planted. :)
Probably is just because of the individual fish.
I've had a breeding pair that would get along spectacularly, the first time I bred them it only took 30 minutes for them to wrap and afterwards they would just get to business immediately. The female would have zero damage because the male didn't even need to chase her. They were cute together.
That same male seriously damaged another girl that was not to his liking. Sometimes they are a match and sometimes they aren't.

But that does mean you're the second person who's posted on here with that kind of set-up working out long term :)

mrsP

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Probably is just because of the individual fish.
I've had a breeding pair that would get along spectacularly, the first time I bred them it only took 30 minutes for them to wrap and afterwards they would just get to business immediately. The female would have zero damage because the male didn't even need to chase her. They were cute together.
That same male seriously damaged another girl that was not to his liking. Sometimes they are a match and sometimes they aren't.

But that does mean you're the second person who's posted on here with that kind of set-up working out long term :)
I really like the thought that fish can and does have likes and dislikes, and we can get them right. Does that mean fish have feelings? Might not, but who knows. :)

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is your tank a blackwater tank? I would be interested in your water parameters, and what kind of filtration you use so it doesn't take all the tannins out of the water? Asking for a friend ;)

New Threads