Best Nano Heater For A 2 Gallon?

AleNanoTank

I just began setting up a Walstad two-gallon bowl, and I would like to add a heater. My goal is that of having the temperature at 74 degrees, which is considered somewhat optimal for plants and will be fine for the shrimp colony I hope to add at some point.

Any minI heaters folks can suggest? I laid my eyes on the Fluval Marina Submersible MinI () BUT it's still six inches long. In my small bowl, between dirt, gravel, and all, I really have only 5" in hight for a heater. I guess I could place this one horizontally, or maybe diagonally; yet, 6" is still pretty long for a small bowl with a curved surface. On the other hand, the smaller mini's are all pre-set at 78 degrees it seems.

Anyone has found a heater that could possibly fit my needs better?

Thanks!

Redrum

I just began setting up a Walstad two-gallon bowl, and I would like to add a heater. My goal is that of having the temperature at 74 degrees, which is considered somewhat optimal for plants and will be fine for the shrimp colony I hope to add at some point.

Any minI heaters folks can suggest? I laid my eyes on the Fluval Marina Submersible MinI () BUT it's still six inches long. In my small bowl, between dirt, gravel, and all, I really have only 5" in hight for a heater. I guess I could place this one horizontally, or maybe diagonally; yet, 6" is still pretty long for a small bowl with a curved surface. On the other hand, the smaller mini's are all pre-set at 78 degrees it seems.

Anyone has found a heater that could possibly fit my needs better?

Thanks!

for your use I would look into the heater pads or something rather tiny like this:

I know it says for 1.5g tanks but if you have a 2 gallon with substrate and other various items you probably have near 1.5g of water... example is I have about 60 gallonin my 75 gallon tanks.

Redrum

Thank you admin

Prism

My betta 2.5g stays at 81F, with my heater.
You can adjust the temperatures..

I have the hydor 25w.

Redrum

Prism Beautiful Beta

Prism

Thank you, hes my new betta.
I got him a week ago.

Hes the prettiest betta I've seen!

Galathiel

I've used the Hydor 25 watt heaters for years in my small tanks. I will say, that at this point, I'm having to replace them as they are slowly 'sticking' and overheating. I'm sad. They are probably 5-10 years old. I've replaced two and still have 3 or 4 in use hehe.

david1978

I have been having good luck with encompass all 30 watt heaters. Their $10 on amazon.

AleNanoTank

for your use I would look into the heater pads or something rather tiny like this:

I know it says for 1.5g tanks but if you have a 2 gallon with substrate and other various items you probably have near 1.5g of water... example is I have about 60 gallonin my 75 gallon tanks.
Thanks! Those pads stay attached to the glass somehow, right?

I would still be concerned, though, about getting the right temperature, specifically, a not too high one (more like 74 degrees), as they seem to be pre-set, right?

AleNanoTank

My betta 2.5g stays at 81F, with my heater.
You can adjust the temperatures..

I have the hydor 25w.
That's the heater I have for my 6G, and I love it. Yet, it's really too long for my bowl

AleNanoTank

I have been having good luck with encompass all 30 watt heaters. Their $10 on amazon.
Thanks, David, that's a cheaper option than the Marina one I had identified. They are the same length, it seems -- 6". I guess I'll have to find a way to fit that in my bowl.

goldface

78 is completley safe for shrimp.

AleNanoTank

78 is completley safe for shrimp.
Right. I would still like to get the water to 74, though, as I understand it would be best for the plants, while still being perfectly fine for the shrimp.

AleNanoTank

Folks, I have to confess that I am really struggling with this The circular walls of the bowl and the size of the bowl (2 gallons or so) really do not make it possible to fit a 6" heater in there; and I can't find anything adjustable that is shorter than 6". So, it's gotta be either a pad like the one Redrum recommended or this one that Petsmart sells I am leaning towards the latter, for it seems to have some sort of thermostat. My fear is that I will introduce a heater into my bowl, which will cook the shrimp who will eventually reside there :-( I don't care if it does not push the temperature to 78 or 77 -- indeed, a bit lower would be more desirable for my purposes. I am just scared of cooking the inverts

If anyone has experience with either (or both) heater, could they give their "two cents" on this? Am I right in thinking the latter heater is a safer choice than the pad?

Redrum

I expect your TOPFIN is going to be your better most reliable source of heat between the two. Both however can be buried just beneath your gravel for stealth. Since you can't see you LED on the unit your going to have to watch the temperature guage but that's a given regardless of what you buy or how much you spend. Things go bad and things can ship defective and the sooner you realize your living one or the other the better off your fish will be.

Redrum

The bowl could probably even be heated by the bottom with a couple of the pads. I guess it's all about what your bowl looks like and such. Here is a nice one that has plenty of decor to hide a heater.

AleNanoTank

The bowl could probably even be heated by the bottom with a couple of the pads. I guess it's all about what your bowl looks like and such. Here is a nice one that has plenty of decor to hide a heater.

Thanks! In the video, the heater is so well hidden, I could not see it! I think I'll go for the Topfin, add a thermometer and keep a close eye to everything.

I don't want to disturb the substrate, as it has dirt underneath the gravel.

On a positive note: this morning, there was CO2 pearling in my bowl Things are happening it seems!

Redrum

You meant to say O2 I'm guessing? Sounds awesome. Got a picture of where your at with it?

AleNanoTank

You meant to say O2 I'm guessing? Sounds awesome. Got a picture of where your at with it?
I'll take pictures once I am home--promised!

I thought "pearling" was made of CO2 bubbles: is it Oxygen instead?

There are two bubbling activities, it seems: some thin columns of very little bubbles departing the substrate, it seems, and larger bubbles attached to the plant leaves. One plant in particular seems to have them, which perhaps supports the Oxygen hypothesis--maybe it's really the plant which is forming them!

bgclarke

That's the big problem with many nano tanks: finding a heater that fits and will not overheat the tank.

A 7.5 watt heater in my 3 gallon was good for spring and fall, but not winter.
A 10 watt one was too hot.
A preset 15 watt with built-in thermostat was also too hot.

AleNanoTank

That's the big problem with many nano tanks: finding a heater that fits and will not overheat the tank.

A 7.5 watt heater in my 3 gallon was good for spring and fall, but not winter.
A 10 watt one was too hot.
A preset 15 watt with built-in thermostat was also too hot.
So, this one, which is a 20W, you think, might cook the inverts? Does all this mean that the built-in thermostat is, sort of, useless?

bgclarke

The one I have is an Aquatop 15w preset at 77F with +-1.8F accuracy.
Before I took the tank down, the glass thermometer at the opposite side of the tank read 80F.
This tank has the equivalent of a 70 gph pump in it.

AleNanoTank

The one I have is an Aquatop 15w preset at 77F with +-1.8F accuracy.
Before I took the tank down, the glass thermometer at the opposite side of the tank read 80F.
This tank has the equivalent of a 70 gph pump in it.
So, you definitely do NOT recommend that 20W heater

bgclarke

It's difficult to say.
Might be fine but might be way too hot with the small amount of water and no water movement.

AleNanoTank

Here are some pictures Soon, I will add more plants.
You must be registered to see images

Fishstery

Hey guys!

I just wanted to start a helpful thread for anyone looking to set up a new nano tank (under 5 gal) and are struggling to find a suitable heater. I have had a 3.5 gallon tank for quite awhile now (used to be set up but sat in storage for the last year). I tried multiple low wattage heaters but always had the issue of them overheating it. Since I last had this tank running there were only so many options for small heaters. I just set the tank back up and noticed a new heater on Amazon that I haven't seen before. It is seriously the coolest mini heater! First, it has a lighted digital thermometer that will display the tempature on the tank DIGITALLY in real time! In a small thank it really helps with usable space since you will not need a separate thermometer hanging around. Secondly, the thermostat controls are on the actual cord, no more getting your hands wet to change the temperature! Just use the clicker on the power cord to adjust up or down. Lastly, the size! This thing is about 3 inches tall, 2 inches wide, and an inch thick. It is black and extremely low profile and shaped like a tiny flat rectangle. I have had it in my 3.5 for a few days and it hasn't overheated the water, has consistently kept it 1 degree under what I have it set to, and I really enjoy the digital thermometer. I can tell the temperature when the lights are off now! With my black background on the tank, you can't even tell it is there! Additionally, there are indicator lights to show you if the heater is on and actively warming the water, if the temperature is stable and the heater is dormant, or if the heater is on but only to maintain the temp. Included is a picture of it in my new setup where it is very well hidden behind my tiny driftwood (please excuse the cloudy water, I took the picture right after I flooded the tank)! Also below is the link to it on Amazon! I hope this helps anyone when setting up their new nanos!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08GFK8H9T?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

John58ford

Are there three little slots on each side on top of the shiny plastic part on the top? The layout of this heater looks allot like one I'm pretty familiar with but I'm not sure that I would say the companies are related without taking apart the hyger too. It looks super cool though, glad you are happy with it. I could see putting these in my grow out tubs, I have had a hard time finding reliable nano heaters myself.

Fishstery

Are there three little slots on each side on top of the shiny plastic part on the top? The layout of this heater looks allot like one I'm pretty familiar with but I'm not sure that I would say the companies are related without taking apart the hyger too. It looks super cool though, glad you are happy with it. I could see putting these in my grow out tubs, I have had a hard time finding reliable nano heaters myself.
I'll check when I get home from work and let you know! Its been 4 days since I set the tank up and the heater has been extremely consistent. I checked the accuracy of its internal thermometer with a regular thermometer from my other tank and the reading was on the money. Definitely worth the buy!

tom855

Finding a good quality but small nano tank heater was always a challenge of mine as well. Thanks for sharing the info on this one, and please keep us up to date. I need to get one in the next few weeks, and if this one will do the job that would be great.

BigManAquatics

If i ever set up anything under 10 gallons again, i will keep this heater in mind, for sure!

Fishstery

I'm glad I can help share some information with the other members here! Its been a week since I got it and the temperature has been stable at 78. I checked it a few times again with an old school thermometer from another tank and the reading was still accurate. It actually is more consistent than the heater I have in my 29 gallon which I have yet to experience in a tank this small. Finally, no overheating issues!

sairving

I have the same heater in my 3 gallon tank and really love it. Originally, I had a 20 watt preset from Petsmart but when it started getting cold, the heater couldn't keep up. I've had no problems with the Hyyger heater since I started using it back in October.

My only wish is that the thermostat control was a little higher up. I have the 50 watt heater since I'm in Wisconsin and winter is cold.

Fishstery

I'm glad that you have had luck with it too! I have the tank on a low side table next to my makeup vanity so I dont have issues with the thermostat controls because the cord has a lot of slack but I could see that being an issue with a taller tank stand

sairving

I'm glad that you have had luck with it too! I have the tank on a low side table next to my makeup vanity so I dont have issues with the thermostat controls because the cord has a lot of slack but I could see that being an issue with a taller tank stand

Mine is on my dresser currently and the power strip is mounted towards the middle. It can be a bit annoying to reach it.

Fishstery

Mine is on my dresser currently and the power strip is mounted towards the middle. It can be a bit annoying to reach it.
I could totally see that happening. Especially because I'm only 5'2" that would be a bit of a stretch for me

tom855

These have always scared me as a bit of a weak link in the tank setup. Finding something reliable isn't always the easiest. And IF you want a quick way to keep track of it, and IF you have one, I use one of those temporal scanner thermometers to check the water temperature. I wasn't sure if it would work on something other than a forehead, but they seem to work just fine. Just an idea! Please check back with how things are working out with it. Thanks!

sairving

Update! The Hygger heater failed Monday night. It was reading 81 degrees but the thermometer in my tank read 72 degrees. If I turned the temp up, the heater would kick in, run for 30 seconds, shut off and go back to reading 81 degrees. I had a 20-watt preset heater that held my tank temp at 74 overnight. Bought a heater at Petco the next morning. It lasted about 4 months.

Now I need to hunt down a slightly shorter adjustable heater. The Aqueon is eating up a bit of room in my 5.5-gallon tank. The Hygger did heat my 5.5-gallon tank without any issues until the other night.

Fishstery

Update! The Hygger heater failed Monday night. It was reading 81 degrees but the thermometer in my tank read 72 degrees. If I turned the temp up, the heater would kick in, run for 30 seconds, shut off and go back to reading 81 degrees. I had a 20-watt preset heater that held my tank temp at 74 overnight. Bought a heater at Petco the next morning. It lasted about 4 months.

Now I need to hunt down a slightly shorter adjustable heater. The Aqueon is eating up a bit of room in my 5.5-gallon tank. The Hygger did heat my 5.5-gallon tank without any issues until the other night.
That sucks! I'm on my 2nd month with the heater, no issues at all

sairving

That sucks! I'm on my 2nd month with the heater, no issues at all

It does. I liked that heater. It was a perfect size for a small tank and kept the water temperature spot on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • bumblinBee
  • Heater
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views
Neb121
Replies
Views