Best Money-making Species To Breed

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Discus-Tang, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone,
    I've got this little guppy breeding tank set up where 15 fry are and I have now realised that I won't make much off them.

What are the best fish that I can get to breed that will bring in loads of money? Also they have to be raised in a tank of 23 or 32 gallons with their parents, unless they can fit in a 5 gallon.

I'm selling my adult guppies as well.

I would like to try:

Neon Tetras (I'm setting up a blackwater tank anyway)
    Bn Plecos
    Killifish
    Blue rams

Fish where I have to drop the temperature and bring it back up (goldfish) won't be happening.

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

neon tetras are really hard to breed they NEED soft and acidic water too breed

3. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Probably GBR would be the easiest to make money off of. Not too hard to breed either.

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I'd go with GBRs or Galaxy rasboras, though the parents would likely need to be removed with both species. It's still a lot of work for a small margin of profit, though.

5. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Ok, GBR it is. I'll breed them in my 32 once my goldfish are rehomed. What about plecos? do they pose a threat to the babies? Would they breed without encouragement?

Will neon tetras bose a threat to the baby GBRs?

the 32 will be a blackwater south american tank so it will have the neons, a pleco and GBRs (or bolivian).

What about sparkling gourami in the 5 gallon?

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Plecos, neon tetras, the parents, and pretty much any other fish will pose a threat to eggs and young GBRs until they're at least 2 months old. They are incredibly tiny and can't swim at all for the first few days.
    That being said, you'll need a species specific grow out tank of at least 20 gallons and probably a 3-5 gallon hatchery tank for the first part of their lives.
    I generally remove the cave that my pair spawn on an hour or two after they lay them to keep them from being eaten by the other fish. I put the cave in the hatchery tank and add in an airstone and methelyene blue to keep fungus from taking over the spawn. After a few days, the fry might be starting to swim off the bottom for brief periods and you can start feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp, vinegar eels, or microworms. It's important to keep the water very clean during this stage using frequent small water changes.
    After 3 weeks or so, I move them out of the hatchery tank and into a 5.5 gallon with a filter. I generally notice aggression between the larger males starting to happen at 1.5 months and that's my cue to move them to their 29 gallon growout. At the 2 month mark, I start to slowly wean them off live food.
    I usually see a high die off rate during the first 2 weeks, which is pretty typical in GBRs. I generally have 20-30 fry left after the 1 month mark and I rarely lose any after that. You can start to sell them at 4-5 months old.

I hope this helps, best of luck:)

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you got the time and the space, discus might be something you could try to breed.

8. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Sorry, not going there. I'm not allowed any new tanks.

I can provide all of the above, thank you for your help :)

I'll move my pleco and neons to the 32, leave my 5 gallon set- up and add a cave that is in my 23. Next I'll add a breeding pair of GBR to the blackwater (?) and when the female is ready to lay I'll put her in the 5 gallon for a short amount of time, then add her back to the blackwater. Grow them out in the 5, add them to the (hopefully) empty 23, grow out, sell.

Is it a plan?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  9. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

You could try breeding rare dwarf cichlids, I would start with the rams though.

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

The female needs a male to produce offspring, they are external fertilizing.
    Really the only thing you can care free breed (for the most part, the fry need water changes often because they are messy and large grow outs to insure they have enough space, albinos seem to grow faster than chocolates/browns for bns, the short finned versions).
    It sounds like you have gotten pet store guppies that aren't worth much, there are several guppies that go for higher prices (I regularly sell two pair of my endler hybrids for 20-25$ plus shipping). You need to make sure you have a market if you aren't going to ship.

11. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Yes, I forgot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice