Best Medicine To Keep In The Event Of Diseased Fish

Mohammed Itfaq

Reaction score
I wanted to know which medicines you guys think are the best and safe for treating tropical fishes in the main tank once removing cartridges, I have a few but if some thinks there is something better out therw please list: so far I have

Seachem paraguard recommended to treat most diseases
Pimafix
Melafix
Iterpret internal anti bacteria
Api general cure

Your views on these, of something u may things is superior or think is more suitable to use in the main tank, which I know is not ideal

Thanks

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't keep any medications on hand.. just my personal preference.. but I want to know for sure what I am treating for before I do anything.. so then I don't do anything impulsive!!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont keep any meds on hand either. In over 15 years I havent had to medicate for anything. Matter of fact, I think the last time I had a sick fish was 1999ish, and it was ich. Buy healthy looking fish from a reputable source, QT them, keep your tanks at optimum conditions for the fish youre keeping and you wont have sick fish. Honest truth.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I don't keep any medications on hand.. just my personal preference.. but I want to know for sure what I am treating for before I do anything.. so then I don't do anything impulsive!!
I completely agree. It seems that lots of people, if there's a problem, grab anything in sight and dump it in, basically medicating for the sake of medicating, without an educated guess as to what the problem is.

There are a several big problems using the wrong medication. Probably the biggest problem is that while you're waiting and hoping for whatever medication to work, your fish is still suffering from a disease the medication is not helping with. By the time you've figured out the medication you used is not working, your fish is that much further down the road without effective treatment.

Another problem is the risk of masking the symptoms instead of treating the problem. This happens with salt. Salt can be a stimulant. For lots of people it's the first thing they reach for if there's a problem. They put in salt, their fish immediately become more active, and they think it's treating the problem, but it's not.

Another issue is that any medication is stressful for fish. Using the wrong medication will cause stress without helping with the problem.

I've used medication to treat particular issues, and I've made a bad call or two along the way. But I always have a reason for any particular medication, an educated guess. I've never dosed with any kind of cocktail hoping that one of the medications I put in will cure the problem. Even if it happened to work, there would be no way to know what the issue was or what medication worked.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think the only thing i have on hand is peroxide and i use that way more on myself then the fish. Anything else if needed is a max of 2 days to get. That way (as stated above) you dont just pour something in without knowing what your treating and also so it doesn't expire.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom