Best Medicine For Fin Rot?

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my guppies had a bit of a torn tail which I assumed was just because he'd caught it on something. I was dealing with an annoying algae bloom last week (my lights were on way too long during the day, it was wreaking havoc) and realised that he and another one of my pretty, flowy-tailed gups had fairly frayed tails. Soooo, fin rot. Wonderful. I haven't had time to get out to my lfs or even to the larger pet store that has a good aquarium section, so I just picked up some Melafix at my local pet store. I've been treating both the 30g they were in and the 10g they are now quarantined in with that. So far, none of the other fish seem to be showing symptoms, which is good, but I'm a little skeptical at the efficiency of Melafix. Is there something better I could be adding? My ammonia in both tanks is at 0, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 5 in the 30g, 10 in the 10g. I am probably going to pick up some aquarium salt to add to the 10g, but I have yoyo loaches in the 30g, so it's a no go for that one. Is there anything further that I should be doing?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Frayed fins aren't necessarily fin rot. They could of torn them on something. Fin rot usually is a black ooky look to the fin tips and the fins receed.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Frayed fins is not finrot, nor does it mean the fish will get finrot.
Finrot starts with the edge of the fin turning light grey. Then the light part starts to fray, and the greyness grows towards the body.
The bacteria that cause finrot are normally harmless, living in the water and/or on the fish. They only become pathogenic due to stress, injury or bad water.
Guppies tails are easily frayed, by chasing and nipping, etc. If the tail isn’t going grey it should be nothing to worry about.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom