best low light/low maintenance plants

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just curious of opinions for live plants to put into a 10g fry tank, I have 1 15w fluoro bulb in there and would prefer to have plants that dont require any special substrate etc. Any ideas or comments appreciated, thanks!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Jetajockey,

I suggest Java Moss. I have some in my Goldie tank and I love it. Fry will love it too. Since they are so small, the Java Moss makes for great hiding places. I don't do anything special for the plant. Free floating or you can attach it to ornaments.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great suggestion, I'll try to find some, thanks!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ugh looks like i am going to have to call around to the LFS in the area, there's no way im gonna pay 10+ dollars in shipping on a 2-3 dollar item lol. I'm sure someone has it around here

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
or you could comment a couple more times ant look at our buy sell trade part of the forums.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have lots of low light plants available to members with 50 or more posts.
Crypts and anubias are also good choices for a low light tank.

Shipping for a small box is only $5.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just looked at hornwart and i actually already bought a small bunch of those last week at the LFS, the fry love sitting in them. I couldn't remember what they were called so thanks again for the name! I'm debating on possibly getting something like java moss.

trinket

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have java moss, hornwort and an anubias in my tank. All are doing well now-though initially I think there was some adjustment for the moss (half went brown but now it's growing green quite quickly, and the hornwort shed all the needles but I'm certain that was from the diluted bleach dip). The hornwort is starting to grow really fast, almost an inch a day in some sections. Hornwort likes to float, but you can also bury a small bit of an end and it'll grow upright-this is what I have been doing with success.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Java Ferns in my tank and also Hygro plants too They do really well in low lights, and that's what I have in my tank along with Amazon Swords. They are pretty good. Crypts and Anubias plants are really good at surviving in low light conditions too. Apparently you don't really have to fertilize them because they don't ask for much Although I still fertilize mine just to make sure they get the nutrients they need

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom