Best Loach For A 75 Gallon Tank??

jenmur
Igor95
I also have a 75G, and I love seeing small but big numbers of fish. I've had kuhli's for about a year, and sterbaI corys, and I love em both. Kuhli's are nice and small, so you can get a lot of em.

jenmur
I also have a 75G, and I love seeing small but big numbers of fish. I've had kuhli's for about a year, and sterbaI corys, and I love em both. Kuhli's are nice and small, so you can get a lot of em.

Oh cool!. Yes, I am thinking if I do the dwarf chains or kuhlis I could do 15-20? But if I did a larger loach then obviously a smaller number. I am using sand! I promise!! Do you see your Kuhlis at all? My store usually has the striped ones.

Igor95
Yeah, I don't see why you can't do 15-20 of either, but if you want both species try to split it. As for sand, I use about 100lbs of imagitarium white sand. I don't see my kuhli's at all during the day, except for after a water change. They're all under the driftwood/plants and only come out when it's dark. I occasionally go to the living room at night when I can't sleep to watch tv and see them swimming up and down the glass.

jenmur
Yeah, I don't see why you can't do 15-20 of either, but if you want both species try to split it. As for sand, I use about 100lbs of imagitarium white sand. I don't see my kuhli's at all during the day, except for after a water change. They're all under the driftwood/plants and only come out when it's dark. I occasionally go to the living room at night when I can't sleep to watch tv and see them swimming up and down the glass.

Oh it would just be one species of loach. Not two. I mean I won’t get rid of my 2 Panda cories but yeah. Oh no that’s ok. As long as I’d be able to see them now and again. . I have read that Kuhlis are nocturnal fish. Yeah I’ll be buy 100lbs of sand. And washing it. Ugh.

goldface
I really like my Peppered loach. It’s like a smaller version of a Dojo loach. It’s not as common as the other species you listed, but I did get mine at Petco, so I guess it’s reasonable.

jenmur
I really like my Peppered loach. It’s like a smaller version of a Dojo loach. It’s not as common as the other species you listed, but I did get mine at Petco, so I guess it’s reasonable.

Aaron is good at finding fish usually. Only place I’ve ever seen a Starlight bristlenose. I’ll have to look up the Peppered loach as I haven’t heard of it before

75g Discus Tank
Yo-yo Loaches are my favorite loaches. Never kept them though.

I like them because of how they got their name.

Their side markings spell out yo-yo which I think is very cool.

jenmur
Yo-yo Loaches are my favorite loaches. Never kept them though.

I like them because of how they got their name.

Their side markings spell out yo-yo which I think is very cool.

I know! It’s so cute! I know it changes as they become adults, but still cute

DarkOne
I would do a ton of kuhlI loaches. I have 5 P. KuhliI (banded) and 6 P. Oblonga (black or java loach) in a 20 gallon long. P. Oblonga are supposed to be more outgoing but I see my P. KuhliI more often. They're nocturnal but they come out during the day if they're in big shoals and you have enough hiding spots.

You could also do 3 Yoyo loaches too.

Djay.racer
I say do the dwarf chain loaches. I'm a firm believer in overstocking with excellent care of course. I personally have 30 in a 55 and I want to almost make it 100 just because of how stunning they are in a group.

jenmur
DarkOne. I have only seen the banded before so they’d be the ones I’d get if I did KuhlI loaches. I am hoping to have enough hiding spots. Stucky and my cories enjoy them. Oh only 3 Yo-yos?

Djay.racer. Dwarf chains are too cute! I don’t wanna overstock though. Just in case. It’d be nice to have a big enough tank to do a huge school

Djay.racer
DarkOne. I have only seen the banded before so they’d be the ones I’d get if I did KuhlI loaches. I am hoping to have enough hiding spots. Stucky and my cories enjoy them. Oh only 3 Yo-yos?

Djay.racer. Dwarf chains are too cute! I don’t wanna overstock though. Just in case. It’d be nice to have a big enough tank to do a huge school

You don't need to overstock to have enough of them haha. I just think they should too tightly not to have more than enough haha. Fishlore won't let me post my video of mine doing their everyday "feed me" dance haha

jenmur
You don't need to overstock to have enough of them haha. I just think they should too tightly not to have more than enough haha. Fishlore won't let me post my video of mine doing their everyday "feed me" dance haha

Ah. Ok. I get what you are saying now . I’ve seen both Kuhlis and Dwarfs do the loachy dance. So cute! I love it.

DarkOne
Yoyo's get big so too many wouldn't be good.

jenmur
Yoyo's get big so too many wouldn't be good.

Oh. Hmm. Maybe I should take them off the list. I’d like an ok school and 3 just isn’t enough.

Redshark1
I keep Clown Loaches now in a 110 gal (for the last 24 years and probably for the rest of my lifespan). But the best fish I ever kept were Sids, so active and endearing.

jenmur
I keep Clown Loaches now in a 110 gal (for the last 24 years and probably for the rest of my lifespan). But the best fish I ever kept were Sids, so active and endearing.

Clown loaches are pretty but 75 gallon is too small for them. What are Sids?

Redshark1
My apologies "Sids" are:

Ambastaia sidthimunki
Dwarf Chain Loach

jenmur
My apologies "Sids" are:

Ambastaia sidthimunki
Dwarf Chain Loach

Ohh ok. I’ve never heard them called that! They are rather cute and active fish

DarkOne
Ohh ok. I’ve never heard them called that! They are rather cute and active fish
Not to mention expensive and on the red list for export because their status is "critically endangered".

jenmur
Not to mention expensive and on the red list for export because their status is "critically endangered".

Yeah my LFS has them at $10/piece. Rachel O Leary says they are mass bred now. But hard to breed in the home aquarium. That’s a downside to things.

Redshark1
Its not so expensive when it lives a long time. Its an investment.

My Clown Loaches were £6, my Cardinal Tetras were £2 each.

My Cardinals lived for 3 years = £0.66 per year.

My Clown Loaches have lived for 24 years so far = £0.25 per year.

jenmur
Its not so expensive when it lives a long time. Its an investment.

My Clown Loaches were £6, my Cardinal Tetras were £2 each.

My Cardinals lived for 3 years = £0.66 per year.

My Clown Loaches have lived for 24 years so far = £0.25 per year.

True. And it just means that if I do dwarf chain I get fewer at a time. I forgot to look at the price for zebra or angelicus when they were at the store. Kuhlis are cheaper though. I’m just gonna go with the loach that seems to be best for my tank. I got plenty of time

Djay.racer
I got mine at $5 each so idk where you get them. I'd definitely call around. Some places charge a ton cuz so does their wholesaler. Just gotta find the place that buys from the cheaper wholesaler. That's about it. I get clown loaches for $7 each so they're cheap too from some places.

jenmur
I got mine at $5 each so idk where you get them. I'd definitely call around. Some places charge a ton cuz so does their wholesaler. Just gotta find the place that buys from the cheaper wholesaler. That's about it. I get clown loaches for $7 each so they're cheap too from some places.

Oh yes! Definitely different prices. For example: Kuhlis on Trinsfish are $2.50 I believe. LFS I go to $7. Other LFS $15.

DarkOne
I got my P. Oblongas for $2 ea and P. KuhliI for $3-4 ea.

Pescado_Verde
I'm a big fan of the dwarf chain. Just a great looking fishy. We ARE voting right?

Djay.racer
I say you do lots of research and stick with the chain loaches. You honestly won't regret it.

jenmur
DarkOne. I have only seen the striped for sale before.

@Pescaso_Verde. They are cute. And active! If I end up getting loaches yes. Although I’m pretty sure Yo-yos are out.

Djay.racer. Oh I will be doing lots of research. So far I’ve just done who I see and who could fit.

skar
I have 5 sids and 6 khulies in a 75.
Obviously I think they are cool.

I would have liked to try zebra loaches.
I haven't seen them here, but I think they do a better job against snails.

Djay.racer
I have 5 sids and 6 khulies in a 75.
Obviously I think they are cool.

I would have liked to try zebra loaches.
I haven't seen them here, but I think they do a better job against snails.
This one I gotta disagree with. I had 15 chain loaches that I put in my planted 55 with over 1000 pond snails and now I have none lol. They attack my very few trumpet and assassin snails. And that took less than a month. So you may just be feeding too much. KuhlI loaches won't eat snails tho that's a fact.

jenmur
skar. That’s another thing. I have Ramshorn snails. Oh Dwarfs and Kuhlis are awesome! (So are other loaches)

skar
skar. That’s another thing. I have Ramshorn snails. Oh Dwarfs and Kuhlis are awesome! (So are other loaches)

I have mts but they stay tiny.
Maybe they get slaughtered as they reach edible size.

I do enjoy the look and behavior of the chain loaches.

jenmur
I have mts but they stay tiny.
Maybe they get slaughtered as they reach edible size.

I do enjoy the look and behavior of the chain loaches.

Huh. Maybe the loaches have figured out that bigger snails mean more food? Heh.
I have heard and read that the dwarf chains have a complex group hierarchy.

Redshark1
My only regret was losing my Sids when my parents sold my aquarium as part of the preparations for me going to UnI which meant living away at the other end of the country.

But I came back an adult and wasn't putting up with that kind of treatment any more.

I had to move out because I had outgrown my parents in so many ways, but my parents realised I had become an adult and it was really touching when they helped me move into my own place. I was grateful for the amicable break from them. It was a complex group hierarchy.

I didn't get my Clown Loaches until I was married (nowadays we don't necessarily have to get married of course) and was sure I was settled for the long haul. Just as well, nobody seemed to know that Clown Loaches lived this long. A few people said they lived for ten years.

BichirKeeper84
Can't go wrong with any of the pangio loaches. Zebras are my favorite botia loach. Though probably my favorite of all loaches would be the dojos. Their personality and character are unparalleled in the loach family in my opinion. Though they do have a bit of a limiting temp requirement. 75 or so is the warmest they should stay long term but I did find mine did well in the summers where the water temps would get to 78 or 79. Very friendly. Very fun

jenmur
Redshark1. Oh that sucks! I hope good homes were found for your Dwarf chains. As long as your partner also enjoys the Clown loaches. That’s important. . Wasn’t there a 30 year old clown loach??

BichirKeeper84. Are there other Pangio loaches besides Kuhlis? Zebras are really pretty! Oh yes, I do like Dojo loaches but my tank is rather warm for them.

BichirKeeper84
There are several pangio loaches. The most common ones are semicincta and oblongas. But there are other less common ones.

jenmur
There are several pangio loaches. The most common ones are semicincta and oblongas. But there are other less common ones.

Oh wow! Cool

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
ikolbyi
Replies
Views
Michael.j.gomez
Replies